Re: What if an URI also is a URL

On 14 Sep 2007, at 00:01, Oskar Welzl wrote:
> The main trouble with URIs is not finding out what they identify when
> you stumble across them in some RDF... thats trivial, even machines
> can
> do it.

Well, it might seem trivial, but the question still manages to
generate a *lot* of discussion ... ;-)

> The trouble is finding the right ones for RDF you write yourself.
> "Right" in this context means there's a chance of other's using the
> same
> URI for the same thing, which *should* be easier for things 'on the
> web'
> than in general. Or so I thought before...

Hm, I don't see the trouble.

Want to find a URI for something?

If you know that it is an existing web resource, use its URI.

Otherwise, mint a new URI.

Done.

You should never be afraid of minting new URIs, even if there might
be an existing one out there already. If you learn about a good
existing URI later, then you can still declare it owl:sameAs. Not
knowing a good existing URI for something should never stop you from
publishing RDF data about that thing.

That being said, there are lots of great resources for finding
existing SemWeb-friendly URIs. You can use the SemWeb search engines,
e.g. SWSE, Swoogle, Uriqr. Lots of good stuff can be found around the
Linking Open Data project. If it exists in Wikipedia, then it has a
URI in DBpedia. If none of these turn up anything useful, then mint
away.

Richard