Re: Proposed changes to Semantic Web logo policies

From: Renato Golin <renato@ebi.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 09:43:35 +0100
CC: semantic-web@w3.org

Hi Ian,

Ian B. Jacobs wrote:
>  1) The logos with the "W3C logo" in them can be distributed
>     freely and used without permission but not modified. This
>     corresponds to the W3C Document license, or, I believe,
>     this Creative Commons license:
>        http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nd/3.0/

This prohibits the rubik's cube modification, I believe that's not what
you want.

>  2) The cube and cube+'Semantic Web' can be distributed
>     freely. They can be used for derivative works (including used
>     with other imagery and modifications to the cube colors)
>     without permission as long as:
>
>        - The cube shape is not changed.
>        - There is attribution of W3C (following some
>          guidelines that we still need to draft).
>
>     This Creative Commons license seems close:
>     http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/us/
>
>     Any other usage would require W3C permission.

That's the best license, but not localized:

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/

>  3) People need to contact W3C before making any commercial use
>     of any of these logos. W3C may start doing more to
>     support itself by selling mugs, etc. I'd like to keep
>     that possibility open.

This is a requirement on CC 3.0 above.

>  4) On the Web:
>
>     a) The cube and cube+'Semantic Web' can link anywhere.
>     b) The technology badges can link anywhere, but W3C
>        recommends some URIs (e.g., for SPARQL,
>        the URI of the home page for that technology).
>     c) The Semantic Web logos with "W3C" in them must
>        link to the W3C site (http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/).

Again, required by CC 3.0

I believe the easiest way is to license under CC 3.0 (non-localized,
with derivatives) and list your URLs to link to.

cheers,
--renato

--
Reclaim your digital rights, eliminate DRM, learn more at