Re: New Version of Networked Graphs Sail Available

From: Simon Schenk <sschenk@uni-koblenz.de>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 12:23:11 +0200
To: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hpl.hp.com>
Cc: semantic-web <semantic-web@w3.org>, Sesame Developer discussion list <sesame-devel@lists.sourceforge.net>
Hi Jeremy,

> This seems overly complicated.

[...]

> There is an issue to do with loops in the definitions - I would have
> thought that the simplest approach is to (weakly) prohibit them. i.e.
> every definition is required to be grounded, where:

Yes, this would be the obvious approach. In fact we thought about this,
but we that we think it does not make sense, because...

> a) if we know that URI u names graph g, then u is grounded
> b) if we have a URI u that names a graph via query Q that depends on
> graphs named u1, u2, ... uk and each of u1, u2, ... uk is grounded then
> u is grounded.

...how should I prevent - in a distributed, uncontrollable environment
like the Web - the owner of u2 from adding a view based on u to u2
tomorrow? Perhaps this does not even influence what I can infer from u,
so I surely do not want the whole view to be false tomorrow just because
of this change.

Best regards,
Simon