Re: [announce] URF: a new replacement for RDF, XML, and JSON

I like it so far.  There are some areas of comments that come to mind
initially.  I definitely have an interest in at least talking through
some solutions and possibly helping with specification if they are not
already solved.  I like RDF and various semantic web efforts and I don't
want to slow anything down, but alternatives should be examined as there
is a bit of pain here and there.

What specific improvements does URF have over RDF and RDF/*?  Have you
built a clear comparison yet?

There are reasons to have data / knowledge in an XML format, even if the
native / better format isn't XML.  While RDF/XML is somewhat reasonable,
what improvements might result from URF->XURF?  You say that URF is a
superset.  What would need to be added?

How does URF handle reification?  I've come to believe that reification
needs to be handled better; in some sense everything should be reified
by default in a way that doesn't require you to burst a statement into
3+ statements just to refer to it (what I think of as "long-hand
reification").

N- Related to reification, there are many types of properties that might
need to be pervasively tracked in a set of statements.  These should not
have to trigger long-hand reification and there should be some way to
avoid statement explosion.  Examples of this might be source of a
statement, probability or trust, date/time stamp, and similar.  Ideally,
there would be a concise way to optionally associate such metadata
without resorting to reification or even to separate statements.  This
may sound like I'm trying to drag relational concepts into the Semantic
Web, but I don't think of it that way.  It is more like giving depth to
data that is being treated in a purely semantic web fashion, dragging
metadata along while keeping queries or reasoning simple.  The result
set can then be reasoned on in either the data/metadata bound or unbound
way.  Here is some more detail along these lines that I wrote back on
Sept. 6th:

> [...]
> time, that may be desirable.  In some applications however, these
> sometimes fundamental meta-properties of a statement are used
> pervasively and cumbersome if they don't have special status.  Queries
> and results could be greatly simplified if filtering were done in
> layered and mostly automatic ways and results were simplified into key
> statements with most metainformation being more subtly managed and
> represented.  This can all be done, technically, with triples and
> reification.  In practice however, both in-memory during queries,
> response, iteration, and other operations and for interchange, it
> seems much better to have key pervasive metainformation have standard
> ontology / slots.  This could possibly to be managed as a combination
> of tuples and context graphs (which commonize the shared
> metainformation to reduce per-statement K-arity).  I have some SPARQL
> extensions designed that work well with time for instance, greatly
> simplifying certain knowledge filtering constraints.
>
> I call this set of requirements the "Polyphasic Knowledge
> Representation Problem" and my partial solutions "Polyphasic Knowledge
> Representation" (PKR).  (I'm open to a better name if you can
> summarize better.  "Polyphasic" seems like a good physics analogy
> where different versions and provenances of overlapping information
> are available in overlapping "phases" of knowledge.  Some people think
> it's a little too Trek-kitsch.)  Many of these may seem special-case
> or "advanced" to many, but I feel this is where things are going.  It
> is not hard to find direct use in a lot of this availability of data
> and metadata for various businesses including retail analysis,
> credit/banking, research, sales tracking and analysis, etc.
>
> Additionally, I have been active in the area of efficient (both size
> and processing) XML interchange and representation.  This has been the
> topic of the Binary XML (now completed) and Efficient XML Interchange
> [2] (now in progress) working groups.  As I am now defining an
> efficient RDF interchange and representation, the problems of what are
> actually needed for an "advanced" and efficient solution provide key
> requirements.  The K-arity PKR effective structure of knowledge, where
> K={3-10}, seems to cover it.  Is there a good, strong argument against
> this kind of representation, given that conversion to or through K3
> should be possible?
>
> Additionally, part of my thinking and work, but not the XBC or EXI
> working group consensus, is the idea of a type of format that is
> directly and randomly accessible _and_ modifiable in place in a
> reasonably efficient way, in addition to support for low-level deltas
> and stable virtual pointers.  Knowledge representation for high
> performance applications is the application that lead to those
> concepts in the first place.
>
> Comments and interest are welcome.  I could use suggestions on
> solution ideas and best venues to publish papers.

sdw

--
swilliams@hpti.com http://www.hpti.com Per: sdw@lig.net http://sdw.st
Stephen D. Williams 703-371-9362C 703-995-0407Fax 20147 AIM: sdw