Re: Dojinshi & Accessibility was: A new Semantic Web logo?

Dear Jonathan,

let me give some backgroun explanation and propose a solution to see if
that would work with you.

It is true that, in an ideal world, SVG should include texts as, well,
texts, and not in geometry. And the specification of SVG allows that. It
is also possible to add a description of a font (or the characters that
are used from a font) into the SVG file itself to ensure a proper
rendering on all environment, independently of the fonts being stored
locally.

The very practical problem, however, is that a number of SVG players
(eg, Mozilla) do not understand (yet, hopefully!) those text statements
with font descriptions. In order to have the logo displayed properly, we
had to go  back to the original design, do a version that turned the
characters into geometry, and export that into SVG.

However: what I would propose to do is to add RDF metadata into the SVG
file (this is perfectly possible, too) that would include dc terms
including a description containing the text of the logo (plus, eg,
copyright info). Is this agreeable to you? This is something that could
be done within a few days (alas, it should be done individually in a
text editor:-)

Ivan

Home: http://www.w3.org/People/Ivan/