Re: A new Semantic Web logo?

Ian B. Jacobs wrote:
> Thank you for the input. We will review the suggestions and
> try to have answers by early next week. I will say that one
> challenge is finding the right balance between trying to maintain
> consistent usage of the logo ('more control by W3C') and promoting
> modifications to fit user needs in context ('less control by W3C').
> I can see the case for both and are thinking about this question
> actively.

Hi Ian,

You will never find that balance, there is no right balance between
stability and performance, usability and security, control and user
needs, etc.

What you need is to say it's a copyrighted material, like in CC, and any
free use is acceptable. As simple as that.

If you want to avoid wrong use, having copyright won't help you because
some uses are allowed even if you have all the rights. See:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=CJn_jC4FNDo

Stop worrying about fair use and let the logo be used anywhere, in any
context, by anyone and let the community show that this is the Semantic
logo, the Open Data logo, the Data Freedom logo instead of trying to
define in which context they can use and die of boredom before doing
anything useful.

Or do you think *everyone* will ask you politely? Even so, do you think
W3C will have the resources for *every single case* to define if the use
is fair or not?

cheers,
--renato

--
Reclaim your digital rights, eliminate DRM, learn more at