Re: A new Semantic Web logo?

On 11 Oct 2007, at 23:21, Francois-Paul Servant wrote:
>> I like neither the new logo(s) nor the policy around it
>
> neither do I:
> - graphically, it is hard do a better job than the RDF logo, which,
> at the same time, symbolizes the basic molecule of the SW, and has
> given birth to many variations, based on a kind of "natural
> extensibility", that matches perfectly the deep nature of the SW,
> where links are so important.

I actually like the cube design. Ultimately, the Semantic Web is
about opening up the world's data silos, and I think this is nicely
symbolized in this logo.

The blue RDF logo of course also has its place. It evokes triples and
connected resources, it's about the nuts and bolts and gears that are
turning under the hood.

> - And the policy is indeed questionable.

Yes. Because of this policy, the logo cannot be used to promote and
advertise the presence of actual deployed data. It can only be used
as a banner ad to promote W3C. It's an attempt to get free
advertisement from the community. Personally, I'm not willing to give
up any screen real estate for that.

Richard