Re: A new Semantic Web logo?

From: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hpl.hp.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 14:24:38 +0100
To: Denny Vrandečić <dvr@aifb.uni-karlsruhe.de>
CC: Chris Dollin <chris.dollin@hp.com>, semantic-web@w3.org

Denny Vrandečić wrote:

>>   The logo must stand alone: it cannot be combined with any other
>> design   element such as photography, type, borders, nor can it be
>> incorporated   into another logo.
>
> So this especially means that HP could not make a HP-Semantic-Web-Group
> logo by simply taking the HP-Logo and glueing the Box next to it?

Hmmmm, read literally it would seem to prohibit almost all use of the logo.

If we look at:

http://jena.sourceforge.net/

there are three logos and some design elements consisting of blue
horizontal lines. At least to my eye, the intent seems to be that all of
the lines and the logos hang together as a coherent whole, and are not
'stand-alone'.

I think the rules for use of the HP invent logo (not on the Jena page)
specify an amount of white space separating the logo from anything else
- typically the HP logo is used in a way that combines with other design
elements, but at a discrete distance!

Jeremy