Re: Turtle - Terse RDF Triple Language updated

On 5 Oct 2007, at 09:57, Michael Schneider wrote:

[snip]
> Me too.
>
> But doesn't anyone feel inconvenient with the idea of making Turtle
> dependent on OWL vocabulary?

No. It's not a vocabulary in the sense that FOAF is a (domain)
vocabulary. It's a bit of syntax.

> I thought that Turtle has been intended to be a
> pure RDF serialization?

Pure what? Pure RDF graphs with favor to no predefined uris? oops,
there's "a".

>   Ok, one could say that 'owl:sameAs' is just some
> URI,

That's true, though it has a pre-defined semantics.

> which happens to share its namespace prefix

"Namespace prefix" is not a concept in XML namespaces. RDF et al do
not have a notion of namespaces other than this common locution about
namespace prefix which means something like "the leading part of a
URI that corresponds to something which standardly appears as the
identifer of an XML namespace and may actual function that way for
some things like rdf:about".

> with that of OWL... would
> be an opinion.
>
> Now while I think about this: Why is there no 'rdf:sameAs' in RDF?

Why is there no rdf:imports? Why is it rdfs:subClassOf, etc.?

These divisions were arbitrary, IMHO. I personally would rather do
away with all of them because 1) they make the syntax more
complicated (I hate getting all the namespace declarations right) and
2) people read a lot of significance into them.

[snip]
> Of course, if there really was an 'rdf:sameAs' in RDF, one would
> than also
> have to think about supporting 'sameAs' in RDF-S, too, as a reasoning
> feature (not necessarily of course, I know). And this might have
> led to some
> difficulties. So 'sameAs' might really have been /intentionaly/
> left out of
> RDF in favour of an analog OWL concept in the future. Any SemWeb
> historian
> here, who can explain this to me?
[snip]

You might go back and look at the various MCF proposals for some
insight. However, I think overall it's most hysterical raisons.

Cheers,
Bijan.