Re: Turtle - Terse RDF Triple Language updated

On 3 Oct 2007, at 11:55, Story Henry wrote:

> On 3 Oct 2007, at 12:41, Michael Schneider wrote:
>
>> Henry Story wrote:
>>
>>> What about =
>>>
>>> That would be a nice addition. :-)
>>>
>>> Especially as it allows one to group statements together like this:
>>>
>>> :me foaf:knows [ = <http://eg.com/joe/>;
>>>                  foaf:name "Joe Smith" ] .
>>>

>> Just for me to understand: Is this meant to be a shortcut for
>> 'owl:sameAs'?
>
> Yep! It's that obvious :-)
>
> What would be nice would be a little comment in the Turtle spec, if
> it gets approved,
> making the point that when the "=" follows the "[" as above there
> is no need for an interpreter
> to create a blank node: they should just go an name the node with
> the URL following it.

This sort of thing makes me apprehensive. Sure, it's useful to those
of us who hack RDF code by hand - I could have used it myself a few
times - but it makes turtle that bit harder to parse, and harder for
people new to RDF to learn.

As it is Turtle is pretty simple, and people new to RDF can pick it
up in a few hours, but the more odd little shortcuts there are the
harder it is to learn from realworld data.

- Steve