Re: Semantic Web User Agent Conformance

On 23.11.2007 10:05:02, Sean B. Palmer wrote:
>On Nov 22, 2007 9:26 PM, Benjamin Nowack wrote:
>
>> and the answer is simply: the API developer can't decide that, it
>> has to be done by the app developer.
>
>Well, consider the case of Linked Data. Imagine browsing the web in
>the Tabulator...
Tabulator is not a domain-specific app, but a generic tool.
It could be extended with a preferences pane where I could specify
the domains I'm interested in. It can't decide that on its own.

>Now it certainly could do. But imagine if, every time you clicked a
>link in Tabulator, it asked you what N formats you want it to be able
>to handle! Defaults are very handy.
Sure, but someone has to define those defaults, and I don't think
that can be done automatically, or globally. The GRDDL approach
means to let authors provide this information via profile hooks,
I prefer letting consumers specify it.

>>  * approach-specific triggers to make it easier for SWUAs once
>>    they decided which approaches to try.
>
>I'm not sure what you mean by this; would you care to expand on it please?
 * RDFa: check the Doctype, as it's mandatory for a valid RDFa doc
 * GRDDL: those profile hooks, or namespace lookups
 * eRDF: certain profile URI
 * MFs: certain tag names
 * conneg: which headers to look at
that sort of stuff, which I think is partly already made available
through the different working groups.

>> G = Graph('http://example.org/', 'rdfa hcard-vcard2001 openid-foaf
>hatom-rss')
>
>What if you don't know what formats example.org is using?
I *do* not know. It's just a parameter that specifies the formats
and mappings I'm interested in. As I said, these are separate issues.
One is "detection", the other is "mapping".

>Note that you can shortcut using the transform URI anyway, so you
>don't even need to specify the last three of those arguments as long
>as the transforms are in the first document
>--you wouldn't gain very much
>speed. I think parsing to the end of <head> is probably reasonable to
>do various format detections.
That doesn't work for the majority of microformats. I don't expect
transforms to be specified at all. *I* specify what structured data
I'm interested in, not the document. Only few people add those profile
URIs, my SWUA is supposed to work today, and also for simpler stuff
such as document titles or links. But as that's a non-normative
approach, I shouldn't really participate in this discussion. I just
wanted to point out that there might be multiple issues ("mappings",
"detection", "approaches", maybe also "efficiency") behind the single
"conformance" headline, not just one, and that separating those could
be a first step to identifiy the related todos.

Best,
Benji

--
Benjamin Nowack