Re: [announce] essay: "Refactoring the Law: Reformulating Legal Ontologies"

Dear Garret,

I had a quick look at the references at the end of your essay, and
concluded we must be living in parallel worlds ;)

Are you familiar with the work of the AI & Law community? Worth having
a look at are e.g. the proceedings of the bi-annual ICAIL conference
[1], the annual Jurix conference [2] (this December, in Leiden, the
Netherlands), the AI & Law journal [3] and several workshops, a.o. the
LOAIT [4].

There is a lot of work going on in the area of Legal Ontologies, most
notably, the Core Legal Ontology, an extension to DOLCE [5], and
(shameless advertisement) the LKIF Core Ontology of Basic Legal
Concepts [6].

That said, I am sure I will read your essay with interest!

Best,

	Rinke Hoekstra

[1] http://www.iaail.org/icail-2007 (http://www.iaail.org)
[2] http://www.jurix2007.org (http://www.jurix.nl)
[3] http://www.springerlink.com/content/100239/
[4] http://www.ittig.cnr.it/loait/loait.html
[5] http://wiki.loa-cnr.it/index.php/LoaWiki:CLO
[6] http://www.estrellaproject.org/lkif-core/

On 4 nov 2007, at 23:45, Garret Wilson wrote:

> Everyone,
>
> I finally got around to publishing an essay I wrote last year, which
> may be of interest to this community. Entitled, "Refactoring the
> Law: Reformulating Legal Ontologies", it looks at the similar
> evolutions of legal systems and software engineering, and explains
> how they are both moving towards an ontological perception of the
> world. RDF is specifically mentioned.
>
> http://www.garretwilson.com/essays/law/refactoringlaw.html
>
> I hope someone enjoys reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Garret

Drs. Rinke Hoekstra

Email: hoekstra@uva.nl   Skype:  rinkehoekstra
Phone: +31-20-5253499    Fax:   +31-20-5253495
Web:   http://www.leibnizcenter.nl/users/rinke

Leibniz Center for Law,         Faculty of Law
University of Amsterdam,           PO Box 1030
1000 BA  Amsterdam,            The Netherlands