Re: The Object Oriented Web

Dear Manuel,

just some comments from my point of view...

#1# computers will never talk to each other by random, ie. without human
control. I think sb of us have already forgotten, that real life is not
of bits and bytes, and that we cannot digitize a human life or body.
There is a real gap between people believing that machines are the next
step in evolution (Moravec, Kurzweil, ...) and more-like realists as
Joseph Weizenbaum for example.

Communication is always HUMAN-2-HUMAN and that there is no isolated
MACHINE-2-MACHINE communication:
http://www.langegger.at/papers/IIWAS06-InvitedTalk.pdf (slides 21ff)

So the "Semantics" in the Semantic Web finally helps "humans" to
implement more intelligent software on the Web. That's it, that's cool.

#2# I think interoperability today is exactly there, where sb pays for
its realization, ie. where there is a market (you mentioned payment
services). Standardization is not easy and becomes more difficult with
an increasing number of stakeholders - e.g. there are only a few credit
card companies compared to blog implementations with a comment feature.

#3# Your idea of - you call it "Object Oriented Web" - in my eyes is
exactly what is expected from the Semantic Web, although it could be
seen as an additional layer on top if it, describing "objects" which may
have a "global state" and can be changed anywhere. I think this will
become true in some areas, where sb. "pays" for its realization (money
or spending "time") and where there is a small enough set of
stakeholders strong enough to get people adopt and use it... what I mean
is, idealistic visions are good, but perhaps I'm more a realistic person
also taking into accout social and economic aspects.

Best regards,
Andy

Manuel Vila wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I would be very happy to get some feedback about the concept of "Object
> Oriented Web" as I just outlined here:
>
> http://blog.kindalab.com/2007/11/02/the-object-oriented-web/
>
> Feel free to send your comments either here or on my blog.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Manuel Vila
> http://claimid.com/mvila

Dipl.-Ing.(FH) Andreas Langegger
Institute for Applied Knowledge Processing
Johannes Kepler University Linz
A-4040 Linz, Altenberger Straße 69