Re: [Semantic_Web] Ontology Vs Semantic Networks

thanks a lot for this post!

I'm writing about ontologies as historical resources, which could be
researched by future historians. In other words, what historians need
to know about ontology concepts, to be able to analyze a preserved
ontology to conclude some information about the past.

So far I understand ontologies (in computer science) as having
emerged out of earlier approaches for knowledge based systems like
semantic networks or framebased languages by defining not only the
syntax (like semantic networks or framebased languages) but adding
explicit formal semantics in form of description logic. Thereby it
gets possible, that several independent systems can share one
ontology whereas in the former to this could be a problem.

As an information source I can recommend:
- Ulrich Reimer: Einführung in die Wissensrepräsentation. Netzartige
und schema-basierte Repräsentationsformate. Stuttgart 1991.
- Baader, F.: Calvanese, D; et al. The Description Logic Handbook.
Cambridge 2003.
(both in German..)

Being historian writing about concepts in computer science, I
struggle often with not-precise and not-consistently used definitions
in that field.. I consider such exchanges most valuable and would be
happy about any corrections!

Simon

--
Simon Margulies, lic. phil. hist.