Re: yet another RDF vCard

On Monday 26 March 2007 21:16, Garret Wilson wrote:
> On the other hand, though, the entire ontology has been so restricted
> as to become hardly usable in an international environment. A case in
> point is the v:Name class, which only allows a single instance of
> each name component. The names-in-FOAF discussion has already pointed
> to the Dublin Core analysis (
> http://dublincore.org/documents/name-representation/ ) of the rich
> variety of naming conventions around the world. The current
> http://www.w3.org/2006/vcard/ns proposal could hardly handle the name
> of His Majesty King Abdullah II bin Al Hussein of Jordan. Sure, I
> know that we could take a couple of those name components, separate
> them with commas, and stick them into one of the existing v:Name
> components, but if we're going to do that why don't we do away with
> the v:Name class altogether and stick a literal vCard string into one
> component, like this:
> <v:n>Stevenson;John;Philip,Paul;Dr.;Jr.,M.D.,A.C.P."</v:n>?

Actually, that's the topic that we devoted most of the time on an ad hoc
face to face meeting in Boston in January with TimBL, Harry Halpin and
myself present, as well as several others on IRC and phone.

Tim himself has a whole array of titles, and we discussed examples like
the one you had. We resolved that Harry would produce an update soon,
but I guess he has been swamped in other work.

But at least, you know that it is an active topic.

Best,

Kjetil
--
Kjetil Kjernsmo
Programmer / Astrophysicist / Ski-orienteer / Orienteer / Mountaineer