Re: Preconditions and Effects in SAWSDL?

From: Jacek Kopecky <jacek.kopecky@deri.org>
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2007 11:20:48 +0100
To: lautenbacher_flo@gmx.net
Cc: public-sws-ig@w3.org, semantic-web@w3.org

Dear Florian,

when the work on SAWSDL was started, there seemed to be very little
consensus about actual details of modeling preconditions and effects,
therefore the W3C took the subset that people actually agreed on and
started work on that. This was not a working group design decision, it
was a scoping decision before the working group was started.

Please take a look at section 3.7 of the SAWSDL Usage Guide [1] about
representing conditions. It's not a full precondition and effect model,
but it shows that modelReference is enough of a hook to attach such
conditions. I expect that among the next steps in SWS standardization
will be a simple RDFS/OWL model that defines terms like "category",
"precondition", "effect" etc. that would allow model references to be
typed in a standard way.

Hope this helps,
Jacek

[1] http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/sawsdl/spec/examples/#conditions