Re: Question on DL negation

Bijan Parsia wrote:
> Well, disjointness is *weaker* than full negation. For example, in OWL,
> A disjointWith B is just syntactic sugar for A subclassof complementOf(B).

Are there technical (e.g. computational complexity) benefits to this
definition over the more usual (and more constructive) definition in
terms of emptiness of intersectionOf(A,B)?

This is a non-issue as long as the semantics of set operations remains
Boolean, where the two definitions are trivially equivalent.  However it
may be useful sometimes to use less than the full gamut of Boolean
operations, and it would be nice if constructive concepts like
disjointness didn't then disappear merely because they'd been defined
using nonconstructive concepts like complementOf.  (Sorry if I seem to
be nagging about trivialities.)

Vaughan Pratt