Re: Rich semantics and expressiveness

Hi to all, just an opinion if I may...

I joined this effort, this task of "re-inventing" the way the web works
because I truly believe it is the first Mass Media and the only
"shared-knowledge" environment than can set human potential free. Just
as an example: my nephew is 11, and he already understands important
programing concepts. He's always interested in developing "thingies" as
he called them, and one day he found out that something called
"standard" ruled somehow the languages he was now learning, so he asked
me who made those standards, what was the idea behind them, what where
they finally for and what would happen if there were no standards set?
So, after a huge headache I decided to introduce him to "Weaving the
web: The original..." by Tim. To my surprise, this not-quite-a-teen but
a "post-child" as he calls himself actually...understood most of this
book and was quite eager to learn more. He wonīt understand things like
"meaning" yet but he somehow senses it has to do with this.

So finally my point is: the younger are not just learning about the
Internet, they are also re-inventing it and meaning is not a common word
to them, but it should be set as a standard if thatīs what we are
building. Meaning is simple to understand, it has nothing to do with the
"semantic" in SW. I come from the Communications field, where "meaning"
and "semantic" always come with "Peirce" and "Saussure" behind. When I
first understood that the SW could somehow reflect all this, I decided
to work for it but trust me: "Semantic" and "Meaning" here are special
concepts that we should really try to clarify even when this may be and
old hat. That should be the first standard we set for the SW.

Cheers,
Alejandro