Re: owl:sameAs use/misuse/abuse Re: homonym URIs

From: John Black <JohnBlack@kashori.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2007 13:03:10 -0400
To: "Ian Davis" <lists@iandavis.com>
Cc: "Richard Cyganiak" <richard@cyganiak.de>, "Jacek Kopecky" <jacek.kopecky@deri.org>, "Bernard Vatant" <bernard.vatant@mondeca.com>, "Tim Berners-Lee" <timbl@w3.org>, <semantic-web@w3.org>

Ian Davis wrote

> On 25/06/2007 16:00, John Black wrote:
>>
>> Now I can talk directly about, or mention, that FOAF URI in RDF.
>>
>> <http://kashori.com/ontology/MyURI> str:numOfCharacters 41.
>>

> Unfortunately not. That's a statement about the resource the URI
> identifies, not about the URI.

Perhaps you didn't read my post carefully. And then you snipped the relevant
passage[1]!

The URI http://kashori.com/ontology/MyURI (try it, it works) which has 33
characters, identifies the resource
http://kashori.com/JohnBlack/foaf.rdf#jpb, which has 41 characters, and is
represented by the web page returned when http://kashori.com/ontology/MyURI
is de-referenced. As far as I can tell, everything is strictly legal.

1. """Now my FOAF URI is this http://kashori.com/JohnBlack/foaf.rdf#jpb. As
a URI,
it is an information resource, namely a string of characters conforming to
rfc3986.

I have created a web page representation of this information resource at
http://kashori.com/ontology/MyURI according to standard REST web
architecture principles. As the owner of and therefore the authority about
the referent of that URI, I hereby proclaim that this web URI denotes my RDF
FOAF URI, http://kashori.com/JohnBlack/foaf.rdf#jpb. This uses web
technologies to identify that FOAF URI by another URI. In particular, as an
information resource, something that can be completely characterized by a
message, I can identify it directly with a 'slash' URI. I don't need a 303
or a 'hash' URI."""

John
www.kashori.com