Re: owl:sameAs use/misuse/abuse Re: homonym URIs

From: Richard Cyganiak <richard@cyganiak.de>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 16:36:41 +0200
Cc: "Bernard Vatant" <bernard.vatant@mondeca.com>, "Tim Berners-Lee" <timbl@w3.org>, <semantic-web@w3.org>
To: "John Black" <JohnBlack@kashori.com>

On 15 Jun 2007, at 16:09, John Black wrote:
> Is it a part of the web / semweb architecture that:
>
> for all URI it is   owl:sameAs    the graph of the RDF/OWL
> downloaded via HTTP using that URI
>
> provided the HTTP path includes a 303 redirect

No. An RDF graph is an information resource; 303 URIs are usually
meant to denote non-information resources. It's good practice though
that the provided RDF graph contains statements that help us to
figure out what the URI denotes.

> and
>
> for all URI it is   owl:sameAs    the bits downloaded via HTTP
> using that URI
>
> provided an HTTP get returns 200 ok?

No. A 200 URI doesn't denote the bits coming back; the bits are a
*representation* of the denoted information resource. One information
resource can have many representations in different languages and
formats.

I suggest Roy Fielding's dissertation [1][2] as further reading,
though it is slightly out of date now, given the httpRange-14
compromise.

Richard

[1] http://www.ics.uci.edu/~fielding/pubs/dissertation/
rest_arch_style.htm