Re: SPARQL query JSON/XML source formats

carmen wrote on 06/14/2007 05:50:00 PM:

> from a glance at the SPARQL Protocol for RDF document, the XML
> protocol still ultimately uses a string for the actual query
> contents. since SPARQL is ostensibly designed to be used with data
> and applications originating on the www, are there plans for a
> working note/specification on expressing the queries in a web-native
> format like (X|HT)ML or JSON? programatically writing-out strings is
> error-prone and requires two steps including the subsequent
> reparsing which should be eliminated to eliminate sources of
> potential failure, and increase ease of use and developer uptake.
>
> ive posted what im doing now, here:
>
> http://blog.whats-your.name/post/2007/06/10/JSON-querying-RDF-via-SPARQL
>
> wondering if i missed any existing documents on the subject..

Hi carmen,

The working group has no plans to produce any other representation of
SPARQL queries. However, Kendall Clark and Bijan Parsia once put a fair
amount of work into an XML syntax for SPARQL queries. I have no idea how
polished the work was nor how close it is to SPARQL's current design.
There's an old (2005 Mar) DAWG thread on it:

  http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-dawg/2005JanMar/0414.html

...and Bijan referenced it early this year in a blog post:

http://clarkparsia.com/weblog/2007/01/21/snow-sparql-and-soemthingelsethatbeginswiths/

Lee