Re: homonym URIs (Re: What if an URI also is a URL)

>On 12 Jun 2007, at 22:07, Pat Hayes wrote:
>>>To pick up just one point: Where do you draw the line between
>>>harmful punning and efficiency-increasing punning? Any rules of
>>>thumb for when it is OK? Why is it OK to pun with email addresses,
>>>but not with wives?
>>
>>Because people and email addresses are so different that almost
>>nothing you ever want to say about or do to one is ever said about
>>or done to the other. If you email to PatHayes, you must have meant
>>to PatHayes' email address. If you assert that my email address has
>>two children, you must have meant me. With two people (or two
>>mailboxes) however, things are different. There really is no way to
>>tell then which is meant: you can't locally disambiguate the
>>punning.
>
>Here are two web pages about me:
>
>    <http://richard.cyganiak.de/>
>    <http://ontoworld.org/wiki/Richard_Cyganiak>
>
>One is in German, the other in English:
>
>    <http://richard.cyganiak.de/> dc:language "de" .
>    <http://ontoworld.org/wiki/Richard_Cyganiak> dc:language "en" .
>
>You say it's OK to use a web page URL to denote the person it's about, so:
>
>    <http://richard.cyganiak.de/> a foaf:Person .
>    <http://ontoworld.org/wiki/Richard_Cyganiak> a foaf:Person .
>
>Both clearly denote the same person, so we can confidently state:
>
>    <http://richard.cyganiak.de/>
>       owl:sameAs <http://ontoworld.org/wiki/Richard_Cyganiak> .

Ah, no. You can't do that so, er, confidently. After all, you are
punning, using the same URI to denote several things, so you should
only say they are equal in this strong sense when they are equal in
ALL their uses. And of course they aren't: they denote different web
pages.

>This allows us to conclude:
>
>    <http://richard.cyganiak.de/> dc:language "de" .
>    <http://richard.cyganiak.de/> dc:language "en" .
>
>Which is obviously wrong. So what did I do?

You overused owl:sameAs. Logical equality has to be used with care
when punning, its true. This is why OWL 1.1 will (at the time of
writing) have three distinct equalities, and why the CL semantics
uses true semantic overloading rather than punning, speaking strictly.

BTW, I opposed including owl:sameAs, i.e. simple equality, into OWL
for exactly this reason. But I was overruled :-)

>1. I used the DC, FOAF, and OWL vocabulary, which are used in
>exactly this way all over the Semantic Web.
>2. I used an inference rule sanctioned by the OWL specifications,
>which is used all over the Semantic Web.
>3. I used your claim that punning is OK.
>
>And I arrived at an incorrect conclusion. Why, Pat?

See above. But just using a sanctioned vocabulary is no safeguard
against getting wrong conclusions. You MISused owl:sameAs here.

Equality is very dangerous. If I have two ontologies, one which
treats human beings as agent continuants and refers to me using
<http://BOF/PatHayesEnduring/>, and the other which treats humans as
a subclass of SpatiotemporalThings and uses a process-based ontology,
and refers to me as <http://FourDrUs/PatHayesTheLife/> and someone
casually asserts

<http://BOF/PatHayesThePerson/> owl:sameAs <http://FourDrUs/PatHayes/> .

because they both denote the same person, you will get the same kind
of error. Its not enough to just denote the same person, in some
loose everyday sense of 'same': it has to denote precisely the same
*ontological entity*. Those things can be very exactly drawn, and
have all kinds of metaphysical superstructure attached to them by the
ontologies they happen to be used in. In the case of punning, it has
to be thought of as a kind of n-tuple of all the things the name can
be used to refer to. So your owl:sameAs was just false, sorry.

>>So the rule of thumb, which can be made operationally quite
>>precise, is that punning is OK if (there is a very high probability
>>that) there is enough contextual information available at the point
>>of use to figure out which of the various meanings is intended.
>
>I think on the open Semantic Web, there is a very high probability
>that your URI will end up in places where that contextual
>information is not available and thus the information consumer
>cannot figure out which of the various meanings was intended. It
>seems to me that, following your own guideline, we'd have to
>conclude that punning on the Semantic Web is almost never OK.

Hmmm. You may be right. Certainly it would be safer, if we could
manage it. But I don't think we can possibly manage it.

But you have made a very nice case, which nobody has made to me before. Thanks.

Pat