Re: synonym URIs (Re: homonym URIs Re: What if an URI also is a URL)

Hi Tanel,

> Since the synonyms of the above kind are - obviously -  extremely
> widespread, should not there be a standardised mechanism for equality
> axioms in the sem web world? For example, extending rdfs to to  rdfse  by
> adding the rdfse:equal predicate with a classical semantics?
>
> Once we start using the rdfse:equal and state things like
>
> http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes/PatHayes.html rdfse:equal
> http://www.ttu.ee/it/PatHayes.html

I completely agree with you that synonym URIs will be widespread on the
Semantic Web. Therefore,

- the idea of having a single URI that everybody uses to identify a concept
will not work and we should just forget about it
- explicit statements about the equivialence of URIs are an important part
of the glue that hold the Semantic Web together.

These points can nicely be proven with experience from the Linking Open Data
project
(http://esw.w3.org/topic/SweoIG/TaskForces/CommunityProjects/LinkingOpenData).

Take Tim Berners-Lee as an example. He has assigned a URI to himself:
http://www.w3.org/People/Berners-Lee/card#i

Note that his URI identifies him as an real-world resource/concept and not
the Web page/RDF file about him.

There are several other data sources in the network that provide information
about Tim and assign different URIs to him (again as a real-world concept).
For example:

DBpedia, which calls him
http://dbpedia.org/resource/Tim_Berners-Lee

The RDF Book Mashup, which provides information about his books and calls
him
http://www4.wiwiss.fu-berlin.de/bookmashup/persons/Tim+Berners-Lee

The DBLP database, which provides information about his papers and calls him
http://www4.wiwiss.fu-berlin.de/dblp/resource/person/100007

In oder to be able to integrate information about him from different
sources, we rely on explicit equivialence statements using the owl:sameAs
property (instead of rdfse:equal as you proposed).

If you look into Tim's FOAF profile at
http://www.w3.org/People/Berners-Lee/card, you will see that it contains two
owl:sameAs statements, claiming that he is equal to
http://www4.wiwiss.fu-berlin.de/bookmashup/persons/Tim+Berners-Lee and
http://www4.wiwiss.fu-berlin.de/dblp/resource/person/100007.

You can browse along these links into the other data sources by looking at
Tim's profile with DISCO (link below) and clicking on the URI in the
owl:sameAs rows.

http://www4.wiwiss.fu-berlin.de/rdf_browser/?browse_uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.w3.org%2FPeople%2FBerners-Lee%2Fcard%23i

Tim has added these links manually to his FOAF profile. When we start
interlinking larger data sources, manually set links will not scale to well
and therefore automated equivialence mining and record linkage comes into
the picture.

Look for instance on the DBpedia website http://dbpedia.org/docs/. There you
will find download for around 100 000 owl:sameAs links that connect entities
from the DBpedia dataset with entities within other databases like
Musicbrainz, Geonames, DBLP and so on.

I think record linkage will be one of the most important topics for the
Semantic Web in the future and we are collecting material about it at
http://esw.w3.org/topic/TaskForces/CommunityProjects/LinkingOpenData/EquivalenceMining

See also Yves post about linking Jamendo to Musicbrainz
http://blog.dbtune.org:80/post/2007/06/11/Linking-open-data:-interlinking-the-Jamendo-and-the-Musicbrainz-datasets

Cheers

Chris

--