W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > semantic-web@w3.org > June 2007

Re: [Linking-open-data] Semantic Bridge Project

From: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 16:08:38 -0400
Message-ID: <466EFD46.7010408@openlinksw.com>
To: Linking Open Data <linking-open-data@simile.mit.edu>
CC: General List <general@simile.mit.edu>, em@csail.mit.edu, kenzie@mit.edu, semantic-web@w3.org, karger@mit.edu

Mike Duffy wrote:
> Chris,
>
> We are familiar with the Linking Open Data community project and we 
> applaud your efforts.
>
> The Semantic Knowledge Repository will not be a store for RDF triples, 
> it will be a store for OWL ontologies.  We want to create tools that 
> will enable web designers and software engineers to link into 
> standardized ontologies so that RDF triples can be created in a 
> standardized way.
>
> As a point of clarification, we are going to rename the "Semantic 
> Knowledge Repository" to the "Semantic Ontology Repository".
>
> We are definitely not advocating centralized control or a "single point 
> of failure".  The Semantic Bridge Project will identify existing 
> ontologies and create a framework that will enable a collaborative 
> endeavor in managing the ontologies. This management system will be 
> modeled on a widespread organic process and not a hierarchical 
> bureaucratic process.
>
> We will develop standards for the fair and objective management of the 
> repository and dynamic interactions with the repository. We intend to 
> create a management system that will enable the organic development of 
> ontologies. This is an incredibly grandiose vision - nothing less than 
> managing the organization, structure and growth of all knowledge. This 
> will most likely be the greatest collaborative endeavor in human history.
>
> While existing lists of ontologies may seem overwhelming, the basic 
> ontologies for e-commerce applications and most Internet sites will be 
> quite manageable.  It will be interesting to see how the statistics 
> evolve, but our initial guess is that less than five per cent of the 
> ontologies will be applied to more than ninety-five percent of semantic 
> classifications on the Internet.
>
> We recognize that, "..central control is stifling, and increasing the 
> size and scope of such a system rapidly becomes unmanageable."  We 
> believe a non-bureaucratic approach that pushes control down to the 
> level of the virtual ontology groups will result in an organic 
> self-regulating system.
>
> We also recognize that some organizations may wish to manage their own 
> ontologies.  For example, the ontology for molecular bio-chemistry might 
> be maintained by a leading research university; specific ontologies for 
> Business Process Management Systems (BPM) might be maintained by the 
> system provider; organizations may wish to maintain their own private 
> internal ontologies; etc.  One of the most significant aspects of the 
> Semantic Bridge Project will be the creation of an open-source ontology 
> management framework that can be utilized by any organization.  Where 
> applicable, there will be a mapping of independently created ontologies 
> to the Semantic Ontology Repository.
>
> Also, our goals are very different from Freebase 
> (http://www.freebase.com).  We are not attempting to create an, "open, 
> shared database of the world's knowledge."  Our initial goal is to 
> transform Internet search by bringing semantic classifications to 
> Internet information and establish the foundation for searching by 
> intelligent agents.
>
> Granted, any system that grows organically is going to be messy and 
> inefficient to some degree.  Our goal is to make things less messy and 
> more efficient.
>   

Mike,

Apologies for the belated response, my email ordering took this message 
out of sight etc.

Are you able to elaborate on the issue of Ontology editing, versioning, 
and synchronization? I ask because we've been incubating a idea called 
"Wikitology" that basically enable Ontology based editing and evolution 
in Wiki-style. We've basically adapted our Wiki Engine to suck in OWL, 
generate a Wiki page, and naturally expose the Ontology terms as RDF 
etc.. Unfortunately this project stalled temporarily, but your mail has 
rekindled interest that could lead to me giving this a higher priority 
in due course.

With my Scale-Free-Evanglist hat on I am certainly interested in a mesh 
of Ontology Servers that facilitate easy and unobtrusiveTerm Lookups and 
resulting standardization re. term usage.


Kingsley
> Sincerely,
>
> Mike
>
>
>
>
> Chris Bizer wrote:
>   
>> Hi Mike,
>>
>>   
>>     
>>> One of the key aspects of the Semantic Bridge Project is the 
>>> creation of
>>> the “Semantic Knowledge Repository”. This repository will be the 
>>> nexus
>>> for managing ontologies (including microformats). It will be the
>>> official “hall of records” for the collaborative efforts made by 
>>> virtual
>>> ontology groups.
>>>     
>>>       
>> did you notice the W3C Linking Open Data community project? Within the 
>> project, many "ontology groups" (if you like to use the term) are 
>> cooperating in order to massively publish and interlink RDF on the 
>> Web.
>>
>> We currently have about one billion triples online (covering domains 
>> like music, books, publications, geographic locations and wikipedia) 
>> which are interlinked by around 120 000 RDF links.
>>
>> Maybe you want to crawl this data to bootstrap your "Semantic 
>> Knowledge Repository"?
>>
>> An overview about the datasets is given in our ESWC poster 
>> http://linkeddata.org/documents/eswc2007-poster-linking-open-data.pdf 
>> and 
>> http://sites.wiwiss.fu-berlin.de/suhl/bizer/pub/LinkingOpenData.pdf
>> as well as on the project's wikipage 
>> http://esw.w3.org/topic/SweoIG/TaskForces/CommunityProjects/LinkingOpenData
>>
>>   
>>     
>>> In essence, this repository will be the source for the
>>> organization and structure of knowledge, goods and services. The
>>> “Semantic Knowledge Repository” will be established as a vendor 
>>> neutral
>>> non-profit corporation.
>>>     
>>>       
>> Please note that Metaweb does something similar with Freebase 
>> http://radar.oreilly.com/archives/2007/03/freebase_will_p_1.html
>> Also not to forget Google with Google Base, but which clearly does not 
>> qualifies as vendor neutral I guess ;-)
>>
>> Are there any arguments why your store is more open and vendor-neutral 
>> than Freebase?
>>
>>   
>>     
>>> This will most likely be the greatest collaborative endeavor in 
>>> human history.
>>>     
>>>       
>> Nice goal. A question which pops up in my mind is why does the 
>> greatest collaborative endeavor in human history need a single point 
>> of failure?
>>
>> Therefore, I clearly favour decentral, webby solutions like the one we 
>> are aiming at in the Linking Open Data project. Meaning, lots of 
>> independent publishers which publish under open licenses and different 
>> search engines like Zitgist, SWSE and Swoogle (and maybe a search 
>> engine from your repository) that crawl the data and provide nice 
>> search interfaces on top of it.
>>
>>   
>>     
>>> We think we have patent rights that will enable us to enforce some
>>> degree of discipline amongst the major players.
>>>     
>>>       
>> Please note that people talking about patent rights don't have a very 
>> high standing in the open data and web comunnities.
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Chris
>>
>> --
>> Chris Bizer
>> Freie Universität Berlin
>> Phone: +49 30 838 54057
>> Mail: chris@bizer.de
>> Web: www.bizer.de
>>
>>
>> ----- Original Message ----- 
>> From: "Mike Duffy" <mduffy@austin.rr.com>
>> To: <karger@mit.edu>; <em@csail.mit.edu>; <kenzie@mit.edu>; 
>> <general@simile.mit.edu>
>> Sent: Monday, June 11, 2007 9:24 AM
>> Subject: Semantic Bridge Project
>>
>>
>> We share many of the goals of the SIMILE project. We would like to
>> explore the possibility for collaboration.
>>
>> Semantic Bridge Technologies (located in Austin, TX) is creating a 
>> tool
>> set and the supporting infrastructure for the implementation of the
>> Semantic Web. We are taking a very pragmatic approach. Our target
>> audience is comprised of web designers and software engineers who 
>> build
>> Internet applications not theorists who study semantic structures. We
>> are building a bridge, not an ivory tower.
>>
>> One of the key aspects of the Semantic Bridge Project is the creation 
>> of
>> the “Semantic Knowledge Repository”. This repository will be the nexus
>> for managing ontologies (including microformats). It will be the
>> official “hall of records” for the collaborative efforts made by 
>> virtual
>> ontology groups. In essence, this repository will be the source for 
>> the
>> organization and structure of knowledge, goods and services. The
>> “Semantic Knowledge Repository” will be established as a vendor 
>> neutral
>> non-profit corporation.
>>
>> In its simplest implementation, a web author or web designer will be
>> able to use tools to Interact with the "Semantic Knowledge Repository"
>> and bring semantic structure to the information he or she is creating.
>> In its eventual application, the “Semantic Knowledge Repository” will
>> transform enterprise management systems.
>>
>> We will develop standards for the fair and objective management of the
>> repository and dynamic interactions with the repository. We intend to
>> create a management system that will enable the organic development of
>> ontologies. This is an incredibly grandiose vision - nothing less than
>> managing the organization, structure and growth of all knowledge. This
>> will most likely be the greatest collaborative endeavor in human 
>> history.
>>
>> While existing lists of ontologies may seem overwhelming, the basic
>> ontologies for e-commerce applications and most Internet sites will be
>> quite manageable. It will be interesting to see how the statistics
>> evolve, but our initial guess is that less than five per cent of the
>> ontologies will be applied to more than ninety-five percent of 
>> semantic
>> classifications on the Internet.
>>
>> We recognize that, "..central control is stifling, and increasing the
>> size and scope of such a system rapidly becomes unmanageable." We
>> believe a non-bureaucratic approach that pushes control down to the
>> level of the virtual ontology groups will result in an organic
>> self-regulating system.
>>
>> We also recognize that some organizations may wish to manage their own
>> ontologies. For example, the ontology for molecular bio-chemistry 
>> might
>> be maintained by a leading research university; specific ontologies 
>> for
>> Business Process Management Systems (BPM) might be maintained by the
>> system provider; organizations may wish to maintain their own private
>> internal ontologies; etc. One of the most significant aspects of the
>> Semantic Bridge Project will be the creation of an open-source 
>> ontology
>> management framework that can be utilized by any organization. Where
>> applicable, there will be a mapping of independently created 
>> ontologies
>> to the Semantic Knowledge Repository.
>>
>> We are very aware that a collaborative approach and the implementation
>> of fair practices are essential to the realization of this vision. We
>> wish to avoid the possibility of fragmentation (e.g., "The Google
>> Semantic Repository", "The Microsoft Semantic Repository", etc.) as is
>> seen with several competing Linux distributions. Our goal is to create 
>> a
>> consortium where all members participate equitably.
>>
>> We think we have patent rights that will enable us to enforce some
>> degree of discipline amongst the major players.
>>
>> The creation of a dynamic and interactive, “Semantic Knowledge
>> Repository”, along with the tools that will allow web designers and
>> software engineers to easily interact with this repository will have a
>> profound impact on the rapid deployment of the Semantic Web.
>>
>> Similar to “Piggy Bank” we are creating an Internet browser plug-in 
>> that
>> will enable users to specify RDFa attributes in a web page and 
>> classify
>> the web page and/or parts of the web page within a given ontology by
>> dynamically interacting with the “Semantic Knowledge Repository”.
>>
>> Unlike “piggy Bank”, we are not attempting to create a “mashup
>> platform”; rather, our goal is the semantic classification of Internet
>> knowledge. An easy to use plug-in will harness the creative energy of
>> millions of Internet users in a collaborative process to classify
>> billions of existing web pages. This creative energy will impel the 
>> full
>> scale deployment of the Semantic Web (The "chicken or egg" question 
>> will
>> be answered, and the answer will be, "both".).
>>
>> The beauty of using an Internet browser plug-in is that existing web
>> pages and components of web pages can be semantically categorized
>> without the need to modify the existing page. The semantic knowledge
>> about the page can exist in an abstraction layer that references the 
>> page.
>>
>> One of the key aspects of the Semantic Bridge Project will be a 
>> royalty
>> system that will pay individuals a percentage of total revenues for
>> their collaborative efforts. For example, twenty per cent of total
>> revenue could be set aside for royalties. Based on some type of 
>> weighted
>> contribution mechanism, the software engineers that create the system,
>> the knowledge engineers who take responsibility for specific 
>> ontologies
>> and the individuals who classify specific web pages would receive
>> payments from the royalty fund.
>>
>> The technologies of the Semantic Bridge Project could truly transform
>> the world.
>>
>> For complete details regarding The Semantic Bridge Project, please 
>> visit
>> our website: http://www.semanticbridgetechnologies.com
>>
>> Please share your thoughts.
>>
>> We hope you will consider participating in this endeavor. It is going 
>> to
>> be an incredible intellectual adventure.
>>
>> Sincerely,
>>
>> Mike Duffy
>> CEO / CTO
>> Semantic Bridge Technologies
>> mduffy@austin.rr.com
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> General mailing list
>> General@simile.mit.edu
>> http://simile.mit.edu/mailman/listinfo/general 
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> General mailing list
>> General@simile.mit.edu
>> http://simile.mit.edu/mailman/listinfo/general
>>
>>   
>>     
> _______________________________________________
> Linking-open-data mailing list
> Linking-open-data@simile.mit.edu
> http://simile.mit.edu/mailman/listinfo/linking-open-data
>
>   


-- 


Regards,

Kingsley Idehen	      Weblog: http://www.openlinksw.com/blog/~kidehen
President & CEO 
OpenLink Software     Web: http://www.openlinksw.com
Received on Tuesday, 12 June 2007 20:10:13 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Tuesday, 1 March 2016 07:41:57 UTC