Re: [Linking-open-data] Semantic Bridge Project

Mike Duffy wrote:
> [...]
> standardized ontologies so that RDF triples can be created in a
> standardized way.
>
> As a point of clarification, we are going to rename the "Semantic
> Knowledge Repository" to the "Semantic Ontology Repository".
>
> We are definitely not advocating centralized control or a "single point
> of failure".  The Semantic Bridge Project will identify existing
> ontologies and create a framework that will enable a collaborative
> endeavor in managing the ontologies. This management system will be
> modeled on a widespread organic process and not a hierarchical
> bureaucratic process.
>
> We will develop standards for the fair and objective management of the
> repository and dynamic interactions with the repository. We intend to
> create a management system that will enable the organic development of
> ontologies. This is an incredibly grandiose vision - nothing less than
> managing the organization, structure and growth of all knowledge. This
> will most likely be the greatest collaborative endeavor in human history.
>
> While existing lists of ontologies may seem overwhelming, the basic
> ontologies for e-commerce applications and most Internet sites will be
> quite manageable.  It will be interesting to see how the statistics
> evolve, but our initial guess is that less than five per cent of the
> ontologies will be applied to more than ninety-five percent of semantic
> classifications on the Internet.
>
> We recognize that, "..central control is stifling, and increasing the
> size and scope of such a system rapidly becomes unmanageable."  We
> believe a non-bureaucratic approach that pushes control down to the
> level of the virtual ontology groups will result in an organic
> self-regulating system.
>
> We also recognize that some organizations may wish to manage their own
> ontologies.  For example, the ontology for molecular bio-chemistry might
> be maintained by a leading research university; specific ontologies for
> Business Process Management Systems (BPM) might be maintained by the
> system provider; organizations may wish to maintain their own private
> internal ontologies; etc.  One of the most significant aspects of the
> Semantic Bridge Project will be the creation of an open-source ontology
> management framework that can be utilized by any organization.  Where
> applicable, there will be a mapping of independently created ontologies
> to the Semantic Ontology Repository.
>
> Also, our goals are very different from Freebase
> (http://www.freebase.com).  We are not attempting to create an, "open,
> shared database of the world's knowledge."  Our initial goal is to
> transform Internet search by bringing semantic classifications to
> Internet information and establish the foundation for searching by
> intelligent agents.
>
> Granted, any system that grows organically is going to be messy and
> inefficient to some degree.  Our goal is to make things less messy and

Mike,

Apologies for the belated response, my email ordering took this message
out of sight etc.

Are you able to elaborate on the issue of Ontology editing, versioning,
and synchronization? I ask because we've been incubating a idea called
"Wikitology" that basically enable Ontology based editing and evolution
in Wiki-style. We've basically adapted our Wiki Engine to suck in OWL,
generate a Wiki page, and naturally expose the Ontology terms as RDF
etc.. Unfortunately this project stalled temporarily, but your mail has
rekindled interest that could lead to me giving this a higher priority
in due course.

With my Scale-Free-Evanglist hat on I am certainly interested in a mesh
of Ontology Servers that facilitate easy and unobtrusiveTerm Lookups and
resulting standardization re. term usage.

Kingsley