Re: part-whole semantic relationship

I missed the early discussions on this but there seem to be some basic
misunderstandings here - or at least wrt the engineering disciplines.

In the engineering world, "whole-part" and "whole surrounding part" are not
the same concept. The wing of a plane is part of the plane but is not
surrounded by the plane. "located within" and "part of" are two different
relationships. Ships and Oil Platforms are often broken down by Zones to
locate items, but that's not the same part-of relationship used to build
them.

The example of John being a Football team also is a misunderstanding of the
part-of semantics. John is a member-of a Football team, not a part-of the
team. It's a different relationship because part-of is a transitive
relationship. Any part-of John (i.e. his hand) is not a part of the team and
as part-of is transitive, John is clearly not part-of the team either.

"Assembly relationships", which is what this seems to really be about are well
understood in the engineering world. The comment that these are all just
Parts that have other Parts is how it's handled there. Identifying what
precisely is a "Part" is left to the individual organization though because
the builder of a component assembly sees their product as an assembly while
the users of that assembly in a larger system just see a Part. Nobody's
wrong, it's just a matter of perspective. In any case, the systems that
manage this stuff in engineering companies have been around 20-30 years or
more. They're now called PDM (Product Data Management) or PLM (Product
Lifecycle Management) systems. Have a look at one.

Cheers,
David