Re: semantic web reasoning and efficiency

Kumar --

You wrote...

I keep getting this argument that, when you use semantic web reasoning
(ontology + reasoner working on them = application), then the resultant
system will be slower (throughput). Can anybody provide me some articles
discussing this?

Of course, it depends on what the application is trying to do, since one can
easily ask a reasoner to solve problems for which no efficient algorithm is
known.

For many practical purposes however, there are efficient reasoners.  In
particular, one can use the information in the ontology and/or rules to
automatically produce and run SQL over distributed databases.  Here is an
example:

www.reengineeringllc.com/Oil_Industry_Supply_Chain_by_Kowalski_and_Walker.pdf

Hope this helps,                       -- Adrian

Internet Business Logic (R)
A Wiki for Executable Open Vocabulary English
Online at www.reengineeringllc.com    Shared use is free

Adrian Walker
Reengineering