Re: Reasoning over Web Data was: Terminology Question concerning Web Architecture and Linked Data

Pat, Chris,
I think we share a view that there are some issues here, at least with
ontology design, that might benefit from wider awareness, perhaps even in
the Linked Data Tutorial.

On 31/7/07 09:33, "Chris Bizer" <chris@bizer.de> wrote:

> Hi Hugh,
>
>>> If you put all this in one triplestore, with the owl:sameAs assertions,
>>> then
>>> it will not be possible to distinguish where facts came from, or rather
>>> which facts are associated with which others.
>>
>> Whoa, careful. It will probably will be >>possible<< to distinguish this,
>> in fact. It might be that unwanted consequences are entailed by the
>> combination of the various RDF graphs and the sameAs, but a careful
>> querying process should be able to determine which of the various triples
>> are present and even whether they are linked. One simple way is to query
>> under sub-OWL entailment, for example, which can be little more than a
>> direct syntactic matching process (see SPARQL).
>
> Some practical backup for Pat's argumentation. Within applications like the
> DISCO Semantic Web browser or the Semantic Web Client Library, we use the
> Named Graphs data model to represent RDF data that has been retrieved from
> the Web. This allows us to clearly keep track where information came from
> and which facts are associated with each other.
Yes, it is possible to distinguish.
This begs the question: if I need to use Named Graphs for the simplest query
about Tim's three roles, effectively bypassing the sameAs inference, was
sameAs the right thing to use?

> Beside of this, I think Semantic Web clients have to take two other things
> into account before they start reasoning over retrieved data:
> Trustworthiness and vocabulary mappings. Think about what you are doing in
> the offline world when you read some political newspapers: First you will
> try to align the different terminology used by the authors in your head to
> get a consistent model. Afterwards you will decide which articles to trust
> and which to consider untrustworthy. Only after these two steps, you will
> start to reason about the consequences of what you have read.
>
> I think it would be a good idea for Semantic Web clients to do the same.
> Therefore, I think it is a bit naive to throw lots of RDF data from the Web
> straight into a single RDF model and then wonder that reasoning over this
> data leads to unintended consequences.
Trust is a big issue (and especially motivates Named graphs), but I don't
think it illuminates this case.
I am not describing a situation where I am throwing lots of RDF into a
triplestore. The situation is that I want to do some querying, say about
people at W3C. I find Tim's URI, and retrieve the RDF, and his associated
sameAs URIs -> RDF, and put it all into a triplestore cache, so that I can
conveniently do some work on it.
Since it all starts from Tim's page, I don't see there is much of a trust
issue here either.
This is a straightforward bit of SW business.

> I also think that it would not be harmful if OWL tutorials and best practice
> guides would state this fact more clearly so that they do not raise wrong
> expectations.
That would be good.
So what is the recommended best practice?
Either on the querying side, to use Named Graphs model all the time; or on
the representation side, as I said in my original message (which seemed to
get lost off the end of Pat's reply):
> This means that the ontologies have to be much more carefully constructed
> than they appear to be at present, taking cognisance of the consequences of
> others making such sameAs statements, in our open world.

Hugh

> In the light of the current Semantic Web layer cake discussion, I have been
> wondering for years why the trust layer is up that far in the layer cake. It
> is obvious that you will only get junk if you try to reason over data from
> the web before applying some heuristics to determine trustworthiness and
> filter out low quality information. Therefore, I think the trust layer
> should be positioned lower in the cake. Maybe below Unifying Logic? If this
> is the point where things change from representation to reasoning.
>
> Cheers
>
> Chris
>

> --
> Chris Bizer