Re: vCard confusion and RDF insufficiency

From: Garret Wilson <garret@globalmentor.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 08:20:18 -0700
To: Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org>
CC: bnowack@appmosphere.com, Semantic Web <semantic-web@w3.org>

Ivan Herman wrote:

> O.k. thanks, I understand. And with that made clear I respectfully
> disagree:-) Any work on RDF 2.0, as you call it, is bound to be
> non-that-easy and, consequently, longer. I would _not_ want to see the
> RDF vCard effort to advance in parallel with a new version of RDF. I am
> not saying such an RDF 2.0 work might not come at some point in the
> future, but I would definitely prefer to decouple vCard from it...

Um, I think we're saying the same thing. By "parallel" I meant that we
shouldn't hold up vCard for anything. I was responding to criticism by
Benjamin that my complaining about RDF was somehow getting in the way of
RDF vCard development. I think that our uses of "parallel" and
"decoupled" are synonymous.

> B.t.w., I did not see anything in the discussions on vCard until now
> that would warrant any change on the RDF model...

Well, if I could get something in RDF 2.0 that would make it easier for
values to be single or ordered, that would solve a whole lot of
problems. This problem is certainly present in vCard RDF development,
but I haven't advanced any solution for RDF 2.0

You're right---the other problem we're having in vCard (literals in
lists) is purely an RDF/XML serialization problem.

Garret