Re: vCard confusion and RDF insufficiency

From: Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 12:02:18 +0200
To: Garret Wilson <garret@globalmentor.com>
Cc: bnowack@appmosphere.com, Semantic Web <semantic-web@w3.org>

Garret Wilson wrote:

[snip]
> Let me stress that I would like the RDF 2.0 effort and the RDF vCard
> effort to advance in parallel, so that RDF 2.0 in no way holds up RDF
> vCard. I've already provided Harry with a new RDF vCard update, which I
> hope to see publicly soon.
>
> Best,
>
> Garret

Garret, let me try to be overly pedantic here, but I would like to avoid
any misunderstandings.

Do you refer to RDF 2.0 as a new version of the RDF model, or do you
refer to a new version of RDF/XML?

As you have just said yourself, and very very rightfully so, the
separation of the RDF model and the particular serialization syntax
called RDF/XML is very important. This separation was not properly done
in the past, and people equate RDF with RDF/XML. While believe and
repeat every time I can that the core RDF model *is* simple, though,
unfortunately, its particular serialization called RDF/XML isn't.

So what do you refer to? I *hope* what you refer to is RDF/XML 2.0...
Not that we may not have to look at some point at the RDF core model
again, but that is a very different ballgame...

As I said before, the Turtle/N3 serialization does not have any problem
with literals on lists. Another serialization in the making is RDFa;
although not final yet but the solution we are converging to with lists
does not have any problem with that either...

Ivan

Home: http://www.w3.org/People/Ivan/