Re: update on vCard edits and The Compromise

Bruce D'Arcus wrote:

> Harry Halpin wrote:

>> 2) The compromise with Garrett is to allow "additional-names" to be an
>> ordered list/sequence of some kind, as well as "honorable-prefixes" and
>> "honorable-suffixes".
>
> I might be wrong, but I thought Garrett agreed prefixes and suffixes
> aren't ordered? I thought he just wanted to remove the restriction on
> cardinality?
>
>> Therefore, we have 3 places with names can be ordered. This is important
>> for Garrett as he is interested in converting vCard to vCard->RDF, and
>> preserving order in a machine-processable manner, which is difficult
>> with reliance on just "sort-string"
>
> Yes, but I'm still unclear how additional names as ordered is helpful,
> unless you follow the problematic nco convention of treating only the
> first given name as the proper given name and any others as ordered
> additional names.
It's helpful for some people like Garrett, and I believe there were
quite a few others over the interest-group list that expressed interest
in this functionality. I think that if there is a use-case and
interested developers, then we should give them the functionality, as
long as it does not conflict with the ability of users to use simpler
subsets of that functionality.

Off the top of my head, as long as we don't have any range constraints
on vcard:honorable-prefixes, then these two options should be compatible
and *both allowed*:

<vcard:additionalNames>Edward</vcard:honorable-prefixes>
<vcard:honorable-prefixes>Reeves</vcard:honorable-prefixes>

and

<vcard:honorable-prefixes>
      <rdf:seq>
            <rdf:li>Sir</rdf:li>
            <rdf:li>Mr.</rdf:li>
         </rdf:seq>
     </vCard:honorable-prefixes>

With the only difference being the former is unordered while the latter
is ordered.
> Bruce

Also, it appears in the latest edit (unreleased until we get to bottom
of Seq/List problems, which I think we're close to!) that
honorablePrefix and honorableSuffix are not rdf:Seq, but I thought
that's what we decided on in IRC. The point is that we should be able to
use the vCard ordering [2]:

" Type special note: The structured type value corresponds, in
   sequence, to the Family Name, Given Name, Additional Names, Honorific
   Prefixes, and Honorific Suffixes. The text components are separated
   by the SEMI-COLON character (ASCII decimal 59). Individual text
   components can include multiple text values (e.g., multiple
   Additional Names) separated by the COMMA character (ASCII decimal
   44). This type is based on the semantics of the X.520 individual name"
   attributes. The property MUST be present in the vCard object."

[2] http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2426.txt

--
  -harry

Harry Halpin,  University of Edinburgh