Re: Terminology Question concerning Web Architecture and Linked Data

Hi Alan,

very fruitful discussion. Thanks for challenging me on this point :-)

> So you have two novel claims:
>
> 1) It is better to mint your own URI than to use one that you know to
> identify the same resource.
> 2) It is better to attach "different views and opinions" about a  known
> resource to a newly minted URI that you state is owl:sameAs  some other
> rather than using an alternative mechanism for doing so,  one of which
> might be the one I suggested.

I basically see four arguments in favour of my point:

1. Practicability: There is no commonly accepted infrastructure in place
that allows applications to find out the single URI that should be used by
everybody to identify a resource. There are lots of real-world object and
abstract concepts that do not have URIs yet, so you have to mint URIs for
them yourself anyway. Also as Christopher Brewster pointed out yesterday,
all approaches that assumed using single identifiers have failed throughout
history so far.
2. Provenance Tracking: If you mint your own URIs you can back them up with
RDF descriptions, which makes it easy to track who said what on the Semantic
Web, as there is only one authoritative information provider for each URI.
3. Discovery: When you know that two URIs refer to the same non-information
resource, it is extremely easy and does not require any new technical
infrastructure to retrieve information about this resource from the Web:
Just dereference both URIs.
4. Information Quality: Information providers will not set owl:sameAs links
to minor quality information provided by somebody else about the same
non-information resource. Therefore setting a owl:sameAs link implies a
quality judgement and a client can use these judgements to assess
information quality using an algorithm like PageRank.

I also do not say that you should always mint your own URIs. Note that we
also have an example where somebody reuses an existing URI and provides
non-authoritative information about a resource within our Linked Data
tutorial
(http://sites.wiwiss.fu-berlin.de/suhl/bizer/pub/LinkedDataTutorial/#deref).

I'm not also completely clear about which approach is better in which
situations. This would be something very interesting to discuss here on the
list.

I just say that there situations where minting your own URIs and
interlinking them later with automated algorithms is more practical. At
least it is more practical in the situation we are facing in the Linking
Open Data project.

As we should aim at deploying the Semantic Web/Web of Data now, I also think
that we should not wait for future name discovery infrastructures, community
agreement about naming schemata or the like, but use an approach that works
now.

> rather than using an alternative mechanism for doing so,  one of which
> might be the one I suggested.

Alan sorry, which mechanism did you suggest?

Cheers

Chris

--
Chris Bizer