Re: Terminology Question concerning Web Architecture and LinkedData

>From: noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com
>Subject: Re: Terminology Question concerning Web Architecture and LinkedData
>Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 19:55:54 -0400
>
>[...]
>
>>  I believe, however, that what we're discussing here is not just any old
>>  RDF statment.  If I had made a statement that "the sky is green", Tim
>>  might reasonable express the opinion "no, I think Noah has set out a false
>>  statement."  The case we're discussing is different, I think.  Tim is, I
>>  believe, responsible for the association between the URI
>>  http://www.w3.org/People/Berners-Lee/card#i and a resource, or we may
>>  assume for the sake of argument that W3C has delegated that responsibility
>>  to him.  Tim states that the resource so designated is himself, then he is
>>  not offering an opinion: he is stating a fact about the resource that he
>>  has chosen to identify with this URI.  The dbpedia folks may similarly
>>  establish authoritative associations between the URIs they control and
>>  resources.
>
>[...]
>
>>  Noah
>
>But what observable consequences come from this within a computational
>system?
>
>Certainly statements like "the sky is green"
>
>	ex:sky ex:colour ex:green .
>
>have consequences.  For example, if added to functionality of the colour
>propery and uniqueness of colour objects, it is inconsistent with the
>sky being blue.
>
>However, what consequences can come from the association between a URI
>and a (non-information) resource?  I can't think of any, and if there
>aren't any then what is the point of arguing about the status of such
>associations?

I can think of many of them. Of course, they may not be *logical*
consequences. See

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-rdf-comments/2003JanMar/0196.html

Pat
IHMC		(850)434 8903 or (650)494 3973   home
40 South Alcaniz St.	(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola			(850)202 4440   fax
FL 32502			(850)291 0667    cell