Re: Terminology Question concerning Web Architecture and Linked Data

Hi Alan,

> However, I am curious to know what you were asking, so if you do, I
> will be appreciative.

My question was aiming more into the direction of how AWWW and OWL
terminology plays together.

owl:sameAs if defined as "The built-in OWL property owl:sameAs links
an individual to an individual. Such an owl:sameAs statement indicates
that two URI references actually refer to the same thing: the
individuals have the same "identity"
(http://www.w3.org/TR/owl-ref/#sameAs-def)

There was a long discussion and a lot of confusion on the SemWeb list
about two weeks ago whether owl:sameAs is the right predicate that
should be used to indicate that two URIs refer to the same "thing".
With "thing" being a OWL term that does not exist in AWWW terminology.

So, if the anwer to my first question would have been that the
different URIs for Tim refer to different resources, there would have
been a problem with "refering to the same thing". But as Dan's answer
to my first question indicated that the different URIs refer to the
same non-information resource, meaning that they are URI aliases,
there is no problem and I see the issue as being closed.

Building on this, we argue in section 1.1 of our Linked Data tutorial
(http://sites.wiwiss.fu-berlin.de/suhl/bizer/pub/LinkedDataTutorial/#aliases)
that URI aliases provide an important social function to the Web as
they are dereferenced to different descriptions of the same
non-information resource and thus allow different views and opinions
to be expressed.

Which is an interesting conclusion as it conflicts with the AWWW view
that URI aliases are harmful.
See http://www.w3.org/TR/webarch/#uri-aliases

Cheers

Chris