Re: caching HTTP 303 responses

From: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hpl.hp.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 19:29:15 +0100
To: Alan Ruttenberg <alanruttenberg@gmail.com>
CC: Jacek Kopecky <jacek.kopecky@deri.org>, "Williams, Stuart (HP Labs, Bristol)" <skw@hp.com>, Giovanni Tummarello <g.tummarello@gmail.com>, semantic-web@w3.org

Alan Ruttenberg wrote:
> Who is the authority for making statements about authority?
> -Alan

drifting to consider that question in general ...

Here are some different models:

- some hierarchy, e.g. digital certificates with some master certificate
at the top of the chain, built into software produces

- peer-to-peer  - the PGP model of authority - a distributed network of
some sort, possibly weighted, and possibly needing multiple copies of
the same assertion by different authorities

- based in some standards. e.g. DNS, which provides for authoritative
domain name records (I think) and hence can act as a basis for say
authoritative metadata about http://example.org/example/dir but it's
quite a lot of work to do so in a trustworthy way

So authority is seen in the above as similar to validating a digital
identity.

Alternatively, we build on the notion of recognising someone as because
they are. So we look at what some source of information is saying - if
it is saying things that we know to be correct - or that we have
reasonable evidence to be correct - then we increase our sense of that
source being authoritative about information of that type.

Jeremy

--
Hewlett-Packard Limited
Registered No: 690597 England