Re: Expliciting same-ness rules Re: [Linking-open-data] Terminology Question concerning Web Architecture and Linked Data

Quite right.
If I am to use your same-ness (and seeAlso-ness, differentFrom-ness etc)
knowledge, I need to know quite a lot.

For a start:
What aspect were you concerned with (eg for geonames is it administrative or
geographical)?
What were your heuristics (eg conservative or liberal)?
How much do I trust you (if you also own one of the URIs, that is a good
indication, as with Tim's foaf)?
How much are you charging (I can go somewhere else cheaper, or pay more for
better)?

Of course, these are complex things to represent, as we know.

But knowledge of them will allow me to see how they match against my
requirements for the particular SW context I am in. Sometimes I want one Tim
and other times I want two Tims.

These needs don't just apply to same-ness, but seem to be particularly
important for it. This is because it is a strong statement that bridges
knowledge sources. If I get it wrong (for my context), then it has the
ability to spread out and pollute widely. Getting the geonames wrong would
have bizarre consequences in working out whether resources were close to
each other.

Hugh

--
Hugh Glaser,  Reader
              Dependable Systems & Software Engineering