Re: ConverterFromRdf

Danny Ayers wrote:
> I've just added a page of this name [1] to the ESW Wiki, would
> appreciate any pointers. While ConverterToRdf [2] lists tools that are
> of immediate interest to people working with RDF, conversion the other
> way may prove equally important to the web.
>
> A usage example - a social networking service might offer data import
> from vCard format documents. This could be generated from the data in
> a FOAF profile via an online service. (Anyone doing that yet? It's
> available from microformat formatted data, e.g. [3]).
>
> Like ConvertersToRdf, there are various different
> mechanisms/strategies available. I've listed the following so far:
>
> * Direct serialisation (Raptor?)
> * XSLT over RDF/XML
> * SPARQL (one or TwoPhaseSparql)
> * programmatic
>
> The Semantic Web needn't rely on every system understanding RDF (in
> fact I'd argue that only a tiny percentage of support is needed to get
> major gains in net utility). But RDF/XML (and Turtle) serialisations
> and SPARQL endpoints still demand quite a lot of the system at the
> other end of the wire. Online extraction/conversion facilities could
> ease this burden. Without outputs compatible with existing
> applications, there's a danger of Semantic Web applications looking
> like black holes.

+1 ... this is a critically important point for the Sem Web community.
We very easily make the mistake of seeing "legacy" formats as data
sources for scraping, nothing more. In fact they are text-based
interfaces to a wealthy of existing, stable, user tested, applications
which are perfectly capable of consuming "RDF" data, when reformatted
appropriately.

I made this point in some slides a couple years ago:

http://web.archive.org/web/20050507060219/http://rdf4food.asemantics.org/DanBriSlides

- Proprietary/legacy/pre-RDF formats are good things! don't look down on
them :)
    *we often slip into thinking that exif/ldif/icalendar/vcard/etc are
useful only as sources of data
    *in fact, they are simple (a few 'print()' statements...) gateways
that allow RDF data to be used in existing applications
    *deployment model: data flows into RDF from various sources, is
merged, integrated, etc., queried, and then flows out again
    *...eg. generating icalendar files from exif files, via rdf. or
running an ldap server from crawled foaf, or a z39.50 server from
crawled rss.

cheers,

Dan