RE: Rich semantics and expressiveness

Hi Michael,

One example of "implicit" would be the stuff you mentioned: name, age,
isMarried, etc. That implies information that was valid at the (often
unknown) time of recording, but it is not valid eternally. Your name may
change, your age certainly does, and 30% of the marriages fail.

Other (simple) examples are to record:
- a price without recording the currency (e.g. in software that is
predominantly used in the US)
- a size (e.g. of a pipe) without the unit of measure (e.g. inch)
- referring to "the" president without specifying of what country
- information about an object that actually is only indirectly related to
that object (e.g. the kind of lube oil you must use for an engine)
- etc

Documents and data bases are full of implicit information.

All this is OK because the assumption is made that the person or system
reading it knows the context and is conversant with the domain of expertise.
Program software may help to provide the context, but that software is not
available when you exchange the data.

In a global setting, like that of the Semantic Web, one cannot safely assume
that the recipient person or software knows the context, and therefore one
must express oneself more explicitly.

The reasoning capabilities of OWL may help in filling the gaps, although I
doubt whether the correctness of the reasoning results will be such that any
manager can be convinced to rely on them blindly when taking decisions. At
best these results can be used for decision support (which alone is reason
enough to embrace the SW).

Regards,
Hans

PS I keep being annoyed by the fact that too many publications on the web
are without showing the time of recording. If the subject is new to the
reader (if it were not new he/she wouldn't need to read it) the information
may very well be out of date, and that outdated information is then taken
for granted and absorbed.