Re: RFC on 'Semantic Web Locationary'

Sorry for the second response, but I wanted to elaborate now that
I've finished clarifying.  I also happened to stumble upon a minor
RDF validator bug while I was at it...

On Feb 6, 2007, at 5:26 AM, Richard Cyganiak wrote:

> Ian,
>
> Looks neat. Couldn't get it to work in any of the Semantic Web
> browsers though as the RDF documents don't validate (see [1] for
> example).
>
> The main problem seems to be that you use both rdf:about and rdf:ID
> on the same element, which RDF/XML doesn't allow for some reason.
> Instead of
>
>    <foo:Bar rdf:about="urn:..." rdf:ID="ASDF">
>
> you should write
>
>    <foo:Bar rdf:about="urn:...">
>        <owl:sameAs rdf:resource="#ASDF"/>

This has been fixed, and seems like a firm solution (it binds tightly
and that's just fine.)

> Some URIs also have spaces in them, which will break things. E.g.
> the list in http://www.pipian.com/rdf/places/city/Berlin .

That's been fixed.  I, like Wikipedia, accept underscores in lieu of
spaces, so I just changed those spaces to underscores.

> Maybe things would also work better if you served RDF/XML as
> application/rdf+xml instead of application/xml (not sure if the RDF
> browsers can deal with the latter).

Still reluctant to change this as yet, due to the Mozilla XSLT issue
mentioned before...

> On the human-readable side, most of the links on the home page
> don't work for me: http://www.pipian.com/rdf/places/Alaska is 404,
> and http://www.pipian.com/rdf/places/subdiv/Georgia brings up an
> empty screen.

This has been resolved too.  The former has finally been coded, and
the latter was actually outputting results as well (multiple
subdivisions have faulty translations of the name 'Georgia', though I
have not yet coded those error XSLT transformations.

An interesting aside that I noted while fixing the ID issue and
validating the 'Germany' page though, was that apparently, the W3C
RDF validator does not have an up-to-date ISO 639 list, as it balked
at the language codes of 'byn', 'wa' and 've'.  It also warns about a
non-NFC Unicode normalization, but I can handle that with a script
I'll write later.

I suppose what I need to do is check for any bugs on the failure of
application/rdf+xml to have XSLT work on it, fix the XSLT to work on
the error pages, and fix some of the unicode in my database to have
proper NFC normalization.  Most of that is easy.  The application/rdf
+xml with XSLT bug is perhaps more problematic (but the XSLT
stylesheet needs to be made to look cleaner and 'more professional'
anyway.)

Also, as mentioned on the page, be wary of incorrect ISO 3166-2 codes
(country subdivisions).  These are particularly bad with, as an
example, Queensland Australia which apparently SHOULD be AU-QL, but
according to the debian library, is AU-QLD, making for all those
Queensland cities to not be properly organized.  That's why I want to
get an authoritative copy of ISO 3166-2.

Also, there are still several minor bits of data I need to get up at
the bare minimum as I have them already stored: latitude and
longitude of (some) cities, fixing some location hierarchies, and
listing capital cities of countries.  If I can find a good source,
mapping in populations, areas, and capital cities of subdivisions
would be nice too, though I don't have a good source.  Same for
populations and location hierarchies of cities.

--

Ian