Re: [vcard] Notes and questions from VCard/RDF #swig and F2C Meeting: Friday Jan 26th 12:00ET

Harry Halpin wrote:
> Everyone,
>
>     While there was unfortunately no official scribe, I did manage to
> take some notes of what the general feeling of the meeting was. Aside
> from what is obvious from the #swig archive [1] is that there was two
> general points being made.
>
> 1) The first was brought up by Kjetil Kjernsmo, also representing
> concerns from Phil Archer regarding using vCard in the Web Content WG
> over the use of the "nick" property. Currently the "v:nickname" property
> has a VCard class domain, which they believe won't work since they need
> a "shortname" to represent not only people but organizations such as
> "I.B.M." who may want to label contet.

I should jump in here and apologise for not actually being present at
the meeting (in my defence, m'lud, I was receiving some very welcome
information from Fabien and Kjetil brought up the issue perfectly.

We need a shortname property of some kind so we can refer to W3C cf.
World Wide Web Consortium. If foaf:nick has this semantic, OK, we can
use it, if not, then yes, we need to define it somehow. There are near
synonyms we could use - "shortname", "colloquial", "acronym",
"displayname",
"is_that_the_full_name?_I_never_knew,_I_always_just_use_the_short_name"

Cheers

Phil.