Re: Cool URIs, the Semantic Web and Everything

It is not easy to make these distinctions when written down in a
natural language which is very flexible and where the context make all
the difference on how something is interpreted.

That is why we develop more formal languages such as N3 to make it
clear what we are speaking about.

"http://sw-app.org/mic.xhtml#i"^^xsd:anyURI a web:URI, web:URL .
That is a necessary truth.

what  <http://sw-app.org/mic.xhtml#i> refers to is not known a priori.
One has to GET it to find out.

I don't know RDFa well, but let assume it is well written, then

<http://sw-app.org/mic.xhtml#i> a foaf:Person;
       foaf:name "Miachel Hausenblas" .

If you have a html fragment #i in your html then you may have a
contradictory representation and we would not be able to determine
what it refers to. That is if you believe that in html the URL refers
to something directly. But you may think that it only refers to
something indirectly. ie:

[ a :Representation;
   :content "<!DOCTYPE html P...";
   :regexContains "id=i";
].

Ie the representation can be searched for the string, and the dom
tree can be searched for such a syntactical structure. But the URL
<http://sw-app.org/mic.xhtml#i> does not refer to those things.

Since it is a complex issue, and in order to avoid wasting time
thinking about this too heavily, it is better to use a different id
string.

Henry