  From: Alexander Zelitchenko
  To: editor@content-wire.com
  Cc: semantic-web@w3.org
  Sent: Saturday, December 22, 2007 3:16 PM
  Subject: Re: Semantic Web as Pragmatic Web

    I'll simply try to explain my vision of your questions.

    1. What does 'pragmatic web' mean, as opposed to 'semantic web?'
    (is it just another buzzword, or does it better convey the meaning of
    what is intended?

    I use 'pragmatic web' not like synonym for 'semantic web'. Pragmatic web is subset of semantic web, where the practically infinite set of classes, traits, relations, attributes and so on is limited in effective way by intentions of web-participants.

    The second moment seems to be very important is that 'real ontology' is determined in pragmatic web in process of INTERACTION (between 2 human participants, as it is in "Manifest of pragmatic Web group" or between dialog wizard and one human participant in the article, which I propose to your attention).

    2. Are semantic web technologies, as we are developing them today,
    going to be capable of delivering 'pragmatic' capabilities (that is
    are they going to be capable of supporting context sensitive
    reasoning?If not, what is missing)

    I do not think, that they are capable. There are a lot of things, which are well known to cognitive psychologists, but are missed in present approaches. First is experience. All human semantic is based on human experience (internal images of the world, as the world is represented namely by this person). The second thing is that human semantic is always semantic of acting human being with his aims, intentions, repertoir of actions and so on. The third thing is that human system for processing of meanings is multilevel one, where different levels use not exactly same principles of processing. There is also even more metaphysical 'fourth' principle of human semantic - "making of senses", but they must be discussed separately.

    3. What kind of vision is there for the pragmatic web, what technologies?

    Pragmatic Web may include some thing (like seeing Web participant as acting persons, for example) into consideration and actively use man-machine interaction to clarifying 'real semantic'.

    4. How would the vision for the pragmatic web fit into the vision for
    the semantic web?

    Semantic Web today is philosophy and technology. Pragmatic Web is part of the same philosophy, but propose quite different technology. Technology of semantic web works well only in very formal application. The more application informal the less semantic web technology is appropriate. On the contrary, pragmatic web is addressed to wide range of 'non-formal' applications. Thus relationships between these 2 classes of technologies must resulted in each of them will be used for its own tasks.

    See also

    http://www.pragmaticweb.info/

    Here the Pragmatic Web manifesto:

    http://www.wi1.uni-hohenheim.de/Publikationen/2006/PragWebManifesto.pdf