Re: Semantic Web as Pragmatic Web

Alexander

following related discussions and 'half baked' threads started elsewhere, I am happy to see your interest in that direction, as well as obviously work alredy started by the people behind the manifesto with whom I hope to catch up soon too.

I take the opportunity to remind interested parties that a discussion about how the vision for the semantic web and/or pragmatic web overlap or differ is starting to become overdue - and it is rather 'transcategorical' (whoa)

Questions that I  ask  myself and others yet without answer are listed below, in a draft note temporarely sent to the organisers of the next ISWC cc Adrian Pashke , but that I have no reason to hide from public view as the question should be opened to the virtual floor, imho
and there is not real reason to wait until next year to start working right?

I just now realise that there is a mailing list too! (did not see it last time I visited the pwebsite)
subscribed

Best!

PDM

PROPOSAL FOR WORKSHOP (AND ONLINE COMMUNITY)
draft note started by Paola Di Maio, Sept 2007,

The world-wide-web (www) so far is being envisioned and designed as a
'semantic network', to the point that we refer to it as 'semantic
web', where semantics refers to the relationship between the  meaning
of its nodes and arcs.

The more the semantic web takes shape however, the more it seems to
push against the boundaries of 'pragmatics' , that is meaning in
context. While the semantic web is still largely a promise, the
Pragmatic web seems to be the next evolution for the www,  as an
adaptive and context sensitive real time communication environment
capable of supporting intelligent and dynamic applications.

1. What does 'pragmatic web' mean, as opposed to 'semantic web?'
(is it just another buzzword, or does it better convey the meaning of
what is intended? is it the same thing? how would a pragmatic web
vision would be different from a semantic web vision? is it just a
name change?))

2. Are semantic web technologies, as we are developing them today,
going to be capable of delivering 'pragmatic' capabilities (that is
are they going to be capable of supporting context sensitive
reasoning?If not, what is missing)

3. What kind of vision is there for the pragmatic web, what technologies?

4. How would the vision for the pragmatic web fit into the vision for
the semantic web? Can the two be merged? Is the one an evolution of
the other? What should we stop, and what start doing in semantic web
research to be able to move on?

/draft ends

See also

http://www.pragmaticweb.info/