Re: Introducing myself - SOA organised with RDF

McBride, Brian wrote:
> Hi Frank,
>
> My name is Brian McBride and I work in the Semantic Web group at HPLabs
> in Bristol UK. We have been working on Semantic Web technology since
> around 2000 and I have a particular interest in application to IT
> systems inside enterprises, a class that includes government
> organizations.  I'm writing because we seem to have a common interest
> and views.
>
> [...]
>

>> It was clear to me from the beginning that a SOA soon will
>> turn into another tower of babel, unless there's a clear
>> strategy to normalize the contents flowing on the service
>> bus, and to address the issues of versioning and development
>> in knowledge.
>>

> That is my view too - though I don't have a lot of evidence I can point
> to in support of it.  This is a great opportunity for Semantic Web
> technology.

> Brian

Existing SOA is broken because it is only half-decoupled, it is argument
or XML based (i.e. RPC) rather than RDF or RDF rich query (RDF, rules,
remote queries), it is usually synchronous, half-duplex, RPC-styled, and
layering that may be non-optimal.  Not only is there a tower of babel
problem to some extent up front, but resulting applications are fragile
due to procedural back-end coupling.

We have a Knowledge Oriented Architecture (KOA) that is fully decoupled
(both "front" and "back" side), rule-driven, and RDF metadata and
knowledge driven.  We have been exploring a number of architectural
ideas in this area for large clients.  A public version is planned.

sdw