Re: What if an URI also is a URL

Hi Reto,

I noticed you switched the lists; great.

Am Montag, den 27.08.2007, 23:37 +0200 schrieb Reto Bachmann-Gmür:
> > Identifiying a document is not the same as identifying a blog, even if
> > the document is part of the blog. I can make statements about this one
> > document that are not true for the blog and vice versa.
> >
> > Whats the point I'm missing? Or am I being fussy here again? ;)
> >
> This might have to do with the notion of "Document". For TimBL a
> document is something more abstract than a sequence of bytes and a
> media-type.
>
> On http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/HTTP-URI.html TBL wrote:
> >
> > I want to make it clear that such things are generic (See Generic
> > Resources) <http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/Generic> -- while they are
> > documents, they generally are abstractions which may have many
> > different bit representations, as a function of, for example:

> I guess that using the term "Informartion Resource" rather than
> "document" is less prone to misunderstandings.

OK, in saying that the whole thing at http://oskar.twoday.net/ is an
"Information Resource" (which happens to include postings from
2003-2007, a service that lets you register, get email notifications on
updates, post via text messages, gets the owner some money from google
ads etc.) you get around it - I can see your wicked plot now ;)

I'm still uneasy about it, though. If I accept that
<http://oskar.twoday.net/> is the whole weblog rather than the HTML
document served there, how can somebody make statements about the one
document in a different context without creating wrong information or
contradictions?
And wouldn't this be quite similar to saying
books:thebible eg:boughtAt <http://www.someshop.net>
with
<http://www.someshop.net> being a) a shop b) created with dreamweaver c)
doesn't validate c) founded by Amazon d) copyright 2007 by
TheBestWebDesignFactory, Inc.?

Or, in other words, isn't <http://oskar.twoday.net/>, the weblog,
something like the document that's also a car (or maybe only a car?)
from http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/HTTP-URI.html revisited?

I know I'm pushing things here, but I spotted RDF on my radar years ago
but keep throwing all my half-finished work away each time I try using
it, only because of this URI-thing... And I'm determined to get it right
this time. There *has* to be a way to make people like me understand ;)

Thanks,
Oskar