Re: Datatypes

From: Bijan Parsia <bparsia@cs.man.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 10:12:05 +0100
Cc: semantic-web@w3.org
To: Dave Reynolds <der@hplb.hpl.hp.com>

On 23 Aug 2007, at 09:54, Dave Reynolds wrote:

> Bijan Parsia wrote:
[snipped useful stuff]

>> That's nice. We should have a list somewhere (heck, for all I
>> know, pellet's support is derived in part from Jena!).
>> Does Jena also support the OWL 1.1 RDF vocabulary for defining
>> datatypes? (Not that I'm convinced that this is, in general, a
>> good idea).
>
> No, at least not yet. We're not yet convinced that such replication
> of XSD inside OWL is appropriate, though can see some benefits.
[snip]

Hmm. That's more than I can see, personally. The main benefits seems
to be free use of datatype expressions (versus having to name them)
and perhaps the "one file" thang. The latter is rather uninteresting
to me. For the former, I'd tend to prefer using fragments of XML
Schema (although that has it's own problems).

Cheers,
Bijan.