Re: [Linking-open-data] Reasoning over Web Data

Thanks Richard,
On 1/8/07 14:00, "Richard Cyganiak" <richard@cyganiak.de> wrote:

> Hugh,
>
> On 31 Jul 2007, at 21:25, Hugh Glaser wrote:
>>> Within applications like the
>>> DISCO Semantic Web browser or the Semantic Web Client Library, we
>>> use the
>>> Named Graphs data model to represent RDF data that has been
>>> retrieved from
>>> the Web. This allows us to clearly keep track where information
>>> came from
>>> and which facts are associated with each other.
>> Yes, it is possible to distinguish.
>> This begs the question: if I need to use Named Graphs for the
>> simplest query
>> about Tim's three roles, effectively bypassing the sameAs
>> inference, was
>> sameAs the right thing to use?
>
> In Disco, we use Named Graphs for *storage* of Web-retrieved
> information. This doesn't mean we have to ³use them for the simplest
> query² or that we're bypassing sameAs references.
>
> In fact, when Disco retrieves information from the Named Graph store
> for presentation to the user, it works on a merged view of all the
> Named Graphs, so essentially it sees exactly what you would see if
> you just threw everything into One Big Model.
>
> But having Named Graphs behind this merged view means that we can ask
> the store where the statement came from, and can retrieve additional
> metadata about the source (both metadata published by the source
> itself, and metadata about the dereferencing process).
Absolutely. A way to process really important things such as trust,
provenance, clever apps, and probably a bunch of things we haven't thought
of yet.

>> Trust is a big issue (and especially motivates Named graphs), but I
>> don't
>> think it illuminates this case.
>> I am not describing a situation where I am throwing lots of RDF into a
>> triplestore. The situation is that I want to do some querying, say
>> about
>> people at W3C. I find Tim's URI, and retrieve the RDF, and his
>> associated
>> sameAs URIs -> RDF, and put it all into a triplestore cache, so
>> that I can
>> conveniently do some work on it.
>> Since it all starts from Tim's page, I don't see there is much of a
>> trust
>> issue here either.
>> This is a straightforward bit of SW business.
>
> Named Graphs help not just with trust but also with provenance, which
> is highly relevant in the case you describe.
>
>>> I also think that it would not be harmful if OWL tutorials and
>>> best practice
>>> guides would state this fact more clearly so that they do not
>>> raise wrong
>>> expectations.
>> That would be good.
>> So what is the recommended best practice?
>> Either on the querying side, to use Named Graphs model all the
>> time; or on
>> the representation side, as I said in my original message (which
>> seemed to
>> get lost off the end of Pat's reply):
>>> This means that the ontologies have to be much more carefully
>>> constructed
>>> than they appear to be at present, taking cognisance of the
>>> consequences of
>>> others making such sameAs statements, in our open world.
>
> That's certainly good advice, but not very actionable. Any specific
> ideas on what people should do when constructing ontologies?
Ay, there's the rub. To be the sameAs, or not to be.

Let me go back a bit and try to motivate a bit more.
The example I used was Tim, and the possible problem that his job titles
might be confused with the places he works.
I could suggest lots of similar examples about people; if my RDF at
Southampton lists me as teaching a unit, and I spend some time visiting
another institution, will a KB allow a correct inference that I teach the
unit at the other institution if I sameAs the URIs from each? If someone
looks me up in the KB at the visiting institution, will they realise that
the telephone number the KB gives for me is the one at my home institution
(especially if that is the only one it has)?
The same problems can be found for most types of things.
Pat rightly pointed out that Director should be director of something, which
is true, although ordinary job titles such as Professor and Senior Research
Scientist are usually just associated with a person. So it should be perhaps
that the rdf for Tim (I am using his name for the NIR) has a role, and then
the confusion is avoided because the role is associated with the title,
address, etc..
As I said originally, we could introduce indirection.
(Nick Gibbins is exploring this stuff at his id.ecs.soton.ac.uk site.)
But this means introducing the complexity of lots of roles everywhere, and
in the end, I hazard a guess that most people writing queries will just
consider them as transparent, and resurrect the problem by ignoring such
indirections.
It would be nice to think that RDF will be that carefully constructed, and
queries just as carefully, but outsiders already consider it pretty
complicated (for some strange reason), and making it less intuitive is not
really desirable.
In fact, we already have a significant legacy of ontologies, and associated
RDF, that would need rebuilding.

It should also be of some concern that if we are discussing the difficulty
of understanding this problem, then the wider community might well have
difficulty understanding and using guidlines. The nice thing about the
Linked Data Tutorial is that I can give it to most people and they can just
follow it, and it makes sense.

So having got rather more controversial than I intended, I'll got the whole
unit of distance.

The proposal to use sameAs so widely is the problem. This is because it is
such a strong assertion, and without stepping outside the standard
framework, I am not allowed to distinguish URIs to the same NIR.
sameAs is very important: if I get a chemical sample on my bench and get
some data about, I need a label for it. I will eventually work out what it
is, at which point I may want to sameAs. If someone refers to something
about a paper's (unknown) author, it would be good to assert sameAs when you
eventually find out another URI for the author that includes the name, etc..

In the Tim case, it is probably good to say
SameAs between
"http://www4.wiwiss.fu-berlin.de/bookmashup/persons/Tim+Berners-Lee"
and
http://www4.wiwiss.fu-berlin.de/dblp/resource/person/100007"
But I am not at all sure that the other uses are helpful.

We really need another way of making the statements Tim wants to.
References to a single NIR (thanks Pat) can be identified, but can still be
distinguished without stepping outside the framework - and the writers of
queries are allowed the flexibility to use the information if they want.

So to go back to your original question: we now don't need further ideas on
ontology construction to avoid this; we keep sameAs for the strongest
equivalence, and use something else for weaker cases.

I have a sense of lighting the blue touch paper and retiring (this is the
instruction on English fireworks to set them off), as I am off on holiday
now.
Sorry.
Hugh

--
Hugh Glaser,  Reader
              Dependable Systems & Software Engineering