Re: RDF's curious literals

Richard Cyganiak wrote:

>>> Why do you keep railing against rdf:datatype? It is merely an
>>> artifact of the RDF/XML syntax. It does not exist in the RDF abstract
>>> syntax (which you call the “RDF model”).
>>
>> What? If that were true, there would be no such things as typed
>> literals in the model, because once you suck RDF/XML or N3 into the
>> model and then re-serialize it, you'd just have plain literals again.
>
> Garret, you say things like “why do we need rdf:datatype” and “death to
> rdf:datatype”. rdf:datatype is an XML attribute in the RDF/XML sytnax.
> Nothing else.

Richard, Garret has been railing against rdf**s**:datatype, not
rdf:datatype. Of course, there is no such thing as rdfs:datatype, so
I've assumed all along he means rdfs:Datatype, analogous to his other
comments on rdfs:Literal. See http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-schema/#ch_datatyp .

rdfs:Datatype is, of course, quite distinct from the RDF/XML datatype
attribute.

Lee