Re: [ontolog-forum] Current Semantic Web Layer Cake

Kathryn,

Your remarks are of course well-taken and sum up the issue very
nicely -- yet another of your many fine contributions to this forum.
I was, in fact, only half serious. :-)  However, while your account
of model theoretic semantics is formally correct, I would have to say
that it doesn't do justice to its importance, which was behind the
genuinely serious half of my post.  Typically, or at least often,
there is a clear *intended* model for an ontology that can be
expressed very naturally in such terms as "the things we are talking
about" (rather than the clinical, if correct, phrase "the domain D")
and their properties and relations (rather than the clinical
"functions on, and subsets of, D").  When such an intended model for
an ontology exists, it is important that it be conveyed along with
the axioms to give users a clear intuitive picture of the subject
matter the ontology is designed to characterize.  In my view, a bare
collection of axioms with no description of an intended model runs a
great risk of being "way too abstract".

-chris