wildcard resource representation

From: Garret Wilson <garret@globalmentor.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 17:57:09 -0700
To: Semantic Web <semantic-web@w3.org>

Everyone,

I'm creating an ontology in which it is useful to identify "any
resource". That is, let's say that I want to specify to which resource a
particular <eg:Rule> applies. I can specify (let me try my hand at N3 here);

[] a eg:Rule;
  eg:appliesTo <urn:uuid:92f01109-e08e-4ac2-b0d4-b13f65ba7595>

That means that the rules applies to some identified resource. But is
there any convention for identifying "any resource"? I see several options:

    * If I assume that the resources are people with emails, I could use
      <mailto:*.*>. But that doesn't seem general enough---it's almost
      too much of a hack.
    * Maybe there's a wildcard URI out there---that is, perhaps
      <urn:uuid:1234...> is universally agreed upon as the wildcard
      resource. But I'm not holding my breath that this exists.
    * Maybe I could create my own wildcard URI: <eg:wildcard>. But that
      seems too specific to my ontology.
    * What about a class of all resources? If I were to use
      <http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema#Resource>, that doesn't seem
      to be what I'm wanting to say semantically---it would say that the
      rule applies to the class of resources, not to every instance of
      that class.
    * I could create a type <eg:AnyResource> and this could be the value
      of the eg:appliesTo property, but this seems to have the same
      problem as using the type <rdfs:Resource>.

Any suggestions? There are almost limitless ways I can go with this, but
is there some convention?

Garret