Re: xml:base (was Re: IRI meets RDF meets HTTP redirect)

From: John Cowan <cowan@ccil.org>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2007 00:30:01 -0400
To: Dave Beckett <dave@dajobe.org>
Cc: John Cowan <cowan@ccil.org>, Sandro Hawke <sandro@w3.org>, Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hpl.hp.com>, semantic-web@w3.org, www-international@w3.org

Dave Beckett scripsit:

> No, they are RDF URI References which can have non-ASCII characters
> encoded as \uHHHH (when in U+0000-U+FFFF range - not all of these
> are allowed in some situations such as writing them in XML 1.0)
> or \UHHHHHHHH (U+10000-U+10FFFF range).  The N-Triples
> spec explains how to encode every codepoint U+0-U+10FFFF inclusive at:
> http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-testcases/#ntrip_strings

Thanks for this reference, which I hadn't seen before.  However, RDF/XML
syntax can only generate URIs when xml:base is relevant, since RDF URIs
are derived from the base URI property, as RDF/XML-Syntax says.  So my
conclusion stands: the N-Triple can only contain ASCII characters with
%-escapes, not \u-escapes.

--
All Norstrilians knew what laughter was:        John Cowan
it was "pleasurable corrigible malfunction".    cowan@ccil.org